Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Basic Backyarders Guide to Spraypainting.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Next time you have to be in two places at once to check something set your phone on video camera and film the light whilst turning the key. Just play back the video to check it. :)

I wish I had thought of that, great idea :) Since the seat was out anyway though, it worked out ok. Just a shame I had to get under the car anyway, but on the plus side, it eliminated most possibilities doing it that way.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I just thought I would make a better video of removing the trolley strips. Obviously this method is only useful if you plan on painting the car anyway, because paint WILL be damaged, but I've found it to be the easiest method.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattytess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina
It works good getting the glue of but I do worry that you are putting a lot of heat on the panel. Heat = panel warpage. I noticed that when you were rubbing the glue if with the rag that the panel flexed a few times. Heating the panel too much may weaken it and make it more prone to getting dents whilst still hot. It would be a good idea to work fast getting the glue of with out pushing too hard and to use a wet rag to cool the panel as soon as possible. Keep up the good work. :)
Matt

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah I know what you mean, but the little butane torch really isnt that hot. The panel wasnt flexing at all, its just a trick of the light :) and I wasnt scrubbing that hard lol. As you could see, immediately after rubbing it clean with a cloth, it was cool enough to run my fingers along without feeling any heat at all.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Did a bit on the Acclaim today. Debadged, trolley strips removed. Anything thats removable has been removed except for the front and rear bars.

The front and rear bars will be removed for spraying separately, mostly because of their shape. They need to be hand sanded and its a lot easier to do that if they are on a sawhorse or something.

Tomorrow I will mask up the other side and undercoat that too, weather allowing. Top coats will have to wait, its just been too wet to spray lately.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I had a bit of a think about it, and I am thinking of making some changes. I might add some holo fleck to the clear, which will come as as little multicolored sparkles. Just a little looks good, just enough to catch the corner of your eye.. too much looks very, very gay. It comes up particularly well on black, so I though why not add some black?

I randomly googled this image of a similar car, and used my very limited editing skills to show you roughly what I mean. You will have to imagine the sparkles :( but you can see the colour scheme. The sparkles would cover the entire car, not just the black section.

Any opinions? Remember, I like to do my own cars to my own taste, but this one is being sold so I would rather other people like it lol.. the more people that like it the wider my market is :)

Just remember, dont suggest stuff like lowering or performance, its not getting any of that. Its bog stock and staying that way. The paint I already have though, so its not an added expense as far as I'm concerned, and I am willing to listen to the majority...

attachment.php

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Reminds me of Frogstas? ute.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon