Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C with heater ??

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Ok, so its getting a bit cold at 6.00 in the morning when I go to work. Trouble is, every time I go to turn the heater on, ALL the windows fog up badly within a couple of minutes, to the point that I cant see where the f*#k I'm going! :b:

I then turn the thermostat back to cold and turn on the aircon, and they clear up straight away. This has happened to me every winter, and it's starting to p!ss me off.

I've just been told that to avoid the problem, I can turn the thermostat to warm and still turn on the A/C button. I haven't tried it yet, but does anyone know if this will work, and more importantly is it ok to do (not detrimental to the car)??

It just seems weird to me to have the A/C on with the thermostat on hot...

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
You NEED to have the a/c switched on, to take the moisture out of the air. That is the only way you will demist the windows.

You can and should use the a/c in both summer and winter, from time to time to keep seals moist.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Marks-VY said:
You NEED to have the a/c switched on, to take the moisture out of the air. That is the only way you will demist the windows.

You can and should use the a/c in both summer and winter, from time to time to keep seals moist.

Yeah??

I always thought A/C was for cooling only! :hit:
Thanks Mark, I'll give it a go. So it wont hurt anything then??

Rocky1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM V6
:thumbsup:I use the air all the time, and use the heater temp control to adjust the temp, yes even in summer! This is called manual climate control. p.s. don't forget to turn it off recyle- you will steam up faster than the missus for you getting home late.

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
running on recycle would be better as the A/C has taken the moister out, rather than letting air in with moisture, either way will work anyway.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
That is a bloody top tip, this thread alone makes the forum worth it, *claps* love it

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
Have done this for years, yes it does work, wish someone would back me up on this to my other half!!! She never uses hers!! Then she comes to me complaining of her heater not working properly!! Sometimes you just have to walk away!!!

S

steve_sarge

I live in Tassie and the only way to keep my windscreen clear and stay warm when working on the west coast is to use the a/c and heater at the same time. This is the main position of the buttons as it is the most effective way to a clear windscreen. I haven't yet had any complaints from my a/c compressor and this is habit for about 6 hours of driving per day for me.

J

jfmika

Good idea but....

This (A/C and heater) combination for defogging windows was mentioned to me 20 years ago, and it works a treat. And it IS true that it's useful to run the A/C at least every week or so to keep the seals working properly. However, I'm not sure that I'd want to have the A/C running all the time. Some days, it's just lovely to let fresh, un-A/C'd air into the car or, heaven forbid, actually wind down the windows! Also, there's the the fuel consumption factor. I'm not sure what it is.. and it's hard to tell with a car like a Commodore, but the extra drag is REALLY noticeable on smaller cars, so it's not insignificant.

Joachim