Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A lil smokey

roces

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
Hi there, just after some advice on a start-up issue with my VS v6. Firstly its traveled nearly 270 000kms and im noticing now after an oil change using 20/50w oil that it blows a little blue smoke for 2-3 secs after start-up. Is this a big issue for a car with that many kms on the clock? I just hope me car ain't ready to blow up and go out in a big fireball!:undead:

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Yes, its bad. Meaning oil is getting into the combustion chamber. Could be worn rings or head gasket.

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
Meh. A little blue smoke on start up won't kill your engine.
Wombles is correct by saying it's bad. I reckon it's the oil control rings on your pistons (ie the lowest ones - 3rd from top) mixed with some blow-by and worn valve guides mainly.
If your car was a "Bits-are-missing Magna" or a "Hyundai Expel" vomit mobile then you would be driving around spewing wonderful blue smoke on everyone within breathing distance and recycling all that oil back into the environment through the exhaust.
The quality of oil control rings vary between manufacturers and the GMH ones are good. We've occasionally seen GM V6s pull 0.5 million kms without needing a recondition before this milestone. They're good engines.
I wouldn't be too concerned if it's just a tinge of bluish smoke on start up. Just make sure your sump isn't ever over filled or below the LOW mark on the dipstick.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It means that when the engine is not running, oil leaks down the valve guides onto the valve heads - then when the car starts it enters the combustion chamber and is burnt off - this usually lasts for 2 or 3 seconds. It is not critical to the operation of the engine and really cannot do any harm unless it gets really bad (which I've never seen). It can be fixed by replacing the valve stem seals which are rubber seals that slip over the valve stem. The seals are reasonable cheap and the right mechanic can replace them for a reasonable figure. However, your best bet in my opinion is to simply start using a heavier grade of oil - one that goes to 70 grade and is designed for worn engines.....this will reduce the burning to a minimum at NO cost.

roces

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
Cheers heaps wombles, stuntman and hako for taking the time to reply to my question i really appreciate it. Well in the last month or so i've spent about $1000 on parts and labor so i like your advice hako, im going to run a thicker oil until i can afford a more permanent solution. Thanks guys.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
It means that when the engine is not running, oil leaks down the valve guides onto the valve heads - then when the car starts it enters the combustion chamber and is burnt off - this usually lasts for 2 or 3 seconds.

+1 on that...!

Blue smoke only on start-up = worn valve stem seals
Blue smoke whilst running = worn piston rings
Black smoke whilst running = Over Rich fuel mix