Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Problem with my VP V6 need some advice am i going mad

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I know the coil packs might be expensive, but see if you've got a VERY understanding mate with a VN. Ask if you can get him drunk then borrow his coil packs for a day ;)

It's an easy way to narrow it down a bit more. To me it's sounding exactly like mine did when one of the leads died, sounds like you're down a cylinder (that would explain the lag anyway, and maybe even the 'cold' stalling).

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Is the knocking coming from the engine like a engine knock could be the tapets

but the sluggishness not sure but best bet is get a diognostic for it and tuned up get it on the dyno with dyno tune up be able to tell most probably
It kind of sounds like a GEN3 piston slap:p.
A mate told me i have done a bit to it and that might be the best thing get it dyno tuned and do it right.

try run some thicker oil m8, i had a similar problem and the tapets settled down a fair bit and the engine ran a lot quieter!
I must admit I'm not sure which oil is thicker, In the old VB i used some older model 300k plus oil in that?.

Try some engine flush - the old oil may well of been in it for years brfore u got the car. But that will not produce intermittant engine power.

What about the fuel pump. Lack of power could be lack of fuel. If spark is good and the mechanical side of the engine is OK check the fuel system from top to bottom.
I always grab a bottle of the engine flush when changing oil it's good ****:).
If the noise of the fuel pump is anything to go on it's loud buzzing and never shits up:). But i don't have a standard 63 litre tank in it.
I know the coil packs might be expensive, but see if you've got a VERY understanding mate with a VN. Ask if you can get him drunk then borrow his coil packs for a day ;)

It's an easy way to narrow it down a bit more. To me it's sounding exactly like mine did when one of the leads died, sounds like you're down a cylinder (that would explain the lag anyway, and maybe even the 'cold' stalling).
:D:D.. I might be onto something, My mum has a very close friend she meet and they get on like a house on fire.. Here comes the good news, She had been telling her about the work i have done on the VP and how it's been a little sick of late, Well **** me dead! Her son is a mechanic and he runs a wreckers:p it's Xmas. He said next week he will go over the whole thing and tell me what i need done and then I'll tell him what i want done and he said he can get new parts at the prices they pay and he will fit anything i need done. So i hope he can stick a coil pack on and test that out straight away:).

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Xmas indeed. Ya can be lucky some times.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I'll know more next Sunday when i see him i hope it's good:).
Honestly i would like to change engines but if i have a ECU problem it would be best to find it now then later. Kind of feel it's not mechanical it's something else as it's up and down and really only 1 thing can do that.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
My vn wagon had the DFI unit fry itself and 3 other things went west too.
The car would run for a week then stall - then start no problems. Replaced all the bits that are the common to making the car misfire and stall.
As it turns out it was the ECU. Replace it for $95.00 from the wreckers and it has not stalled (2/3 months now).
Ps car runs heaps better now with all the new sensors and bits in it.

Last edited:

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
That's what made me think it's more on the electric side not mechanical, Cause the ECU almost tunes it and it's the only thing that doesn't respond it seems. Like when they changed my tranny and when the reset the ECU it ran high in revs it wouldn't settle down.
I was thinking of going out now and resetting it and see what happens?.