Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A question for VZ Calais owners

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Guys

Do the steering wheel stereo controls on your cars illuminate when the lights are turned on?

The controls on my VY look like they were designed to illuminate but they don't. I think I read somewhere that the VZ Calais' do. True or false?

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Haven't got one but took one for a test drive overnight. Yes they do illuminate with the rest o fthe dash :D

-scyth-

Im alright its the others
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Wagon 05
Guys

Do the steering wheel stereo controls on your cars illuminate when the lights are turned on?

The controls on my VY look like they were designed to illuminate but they don't. I think I read somewhere that the VZ Calais' do. True or false?

Calaber i don't own a Calais but ive done some digging around about this. All of the audio controls are capable of lighting up. However... the trick lies with the BCM & a 'clock spring' that's located behind the airbag pad. What's strange is that only the higher model BCM (found in the berlina & Calais etc) that have this clock spring will make your audio control switches light up. The wiring of the audio control buttons on an exec compared to a Calais or belina is different as well. The clock spring to purchase from Holden is about the $500 mark & from memory i think there's a bit of fiddling about as well just to get the audio controls to light up. Far too expensive to have those audio buttons light up if you ask me.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Yep they definitely do illuminate =)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Calaber i don't own a Calais but ive done some digging around about this. All of the audio controls are capable of lighting up. However... the trick lies with the BCM & a 'clock spring' that's located behind the airbag pad. What's strange is that only the higher model BCM (found in the berlina & Calais etc) that have this clock spring will make your audio control switches light up. The wiring of the audio control buttons on an exec compared to a Calais or belina is different as well. The clock spring to purchase from Holden is about the $500 mark & from memory i think there's a bit of fiddling about as well just to get the audio controls to light up. Far too expensive to have those audio buttons light up if you ask me.

Hi Scyth

That's interesting as I have a Berlina, not an Exec. However, the Calais had a higher level BCM than the Berlina so I suspect it might be something to do with that. It's a bit annoying because you can tell by looking closely at the controls that they are the type to illuminate - the lettering isn't printed over the silver - it's a translucent white plastic similar to the keys on the stereo etc that would transmit the light through.

Might do a bit of digging around to see if the Berlina's controls can be illuminated.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll advise the forum of my results in this, in case any other Berlina owners are interested.

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
The non illuminating buttons also
do not have the SMD leds installed.
At least my Exec ones dont.

Last edited:

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi Scyth

That's interesting as I have a Berlina, not an Exec. However, the Calais had a higher level BCM than the Berlina so I suspect it might be something to do with that. It's a bit annoying because you can tell by looking closely at the controls that they are the type to illuminate - the lettering isn't printed over the silver - it's a translucent white plastic similar to the keys on the stereo etc that would transmit the light through.

Might do a bit of digging around to see if the Berlina's controls can be illuminated.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll advise the forum of my results in this, in case any other Berlina owners are interested.

Let me Know the outcome because my Berlina steering wheel buttons have never lit up since the day i bought it.

05 Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ alloytec Calais
Hi Guys I own an 05 VZ Calais and the steering wheel buttons light up when the lights are turned and so do the active select paddles

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Mine do, on a VZ SS.