Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS a DEFECT?

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
Ahh, defects, Guilty till proven innocent (but you still have to pay the fine)
Cops don't know cars, but tend to book/defect idiots, eg people hanging out in carparks at 2 in the morning.
Kinda asking for it there buddy.

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
Hmmm, not ever having to deal with SA coppers I really can't comment on the defect or their professionalism, however I've heard a lot of bad things on the forum. So one of your sheila mates left her handbrake or somethin off and rolled into one of your bloke mates? Is that right? I am interested to hear the outcome of this..... But as someone above said maybe hang out at someones house instead? Don't stick out as much.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The car that got defected was a Stock Standard VY S pack with no modifications except a catback exhaust. The ABS unit had not been touched..

ah my bad, soz for not reading properley. so its basically a case of a cop thinking he knows his **** and failin. i thougt the had changed rules so that only TOG who had passed a basic mechanical test could defect you? i remember a mate being pulled over a few years ago and he was mouthy with the cop so the cop made him wait an hour on the side of the road till' TOG arrived and defected his car.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
none of those are mandatory items under the ADR.

*sigh* i said i wasnt going to look it up to prove a point, but i guess i will after all.

adr 31 revision 02 section 4.2 compilation date 04/02/2010 (ok so i had the date wrong for ecs):
4.2. Vehicles of categories MA, MB or MC must be fitted with an Electronic
Stability Control System meeting the requirements of Appendix A,

source: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/A8E8FA1A2AA5AFB8CA2576C8000F5185/$file/ADR31022009comp1FINAL.pdf

sorry, i CBF looking for ABS i am sure its in revision 01 somewhere, but if you think about it, ECS isnt going to do much without some form of automatic braking system.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
ah my bad, soz for not reading properley. so its basically a case of a cop thinking he knows his **** and failin. i thougt the had changed rules so that only TOG who had passed a basic mechanical test could defect you? i remember a mate being pulled over a few years ago and he was mouthy with the cop so the cop made him wait an hour on the side of the road till' TOG arrived and defected his car.

The OP lives in SA, which is much different to other states in the way defects are issued/cleared......

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I tend to believe it, however at 2am they are probably just looking for a good excuse to give you a reason to not be there anymore. in other words they are trying to send a message, find a new place to meet and hang out.

A mate of mine is into building American muscle cars, anyway almost every car show they go to police come out in force as soon as it gets dark, regardless of the activity.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
*sigh* i said i wasnt going to look it up to prove a point, but i guess i will after all.

adr 31 revision 02 section 4.2 compilation date 04/02/2010 (ok so i had the date wrong for ecs):

source: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/A8E8FA1A2AA5AFB8CA2576C8000F5185/$file/ADR31022009comp1FINAL.pdf
you're half right.. i didn't realise they'd brought that in, but it doesn't apply yet, if you look at the applicability table:
2. APPLICABILITY AND IMPLEMENTATION
This standard applies to the design and construction of vehicles as set out in 2.1, 2.2 and the table below.
2.1. 1 November 2011 on all new model vehicles.
2.2. 1 November 2013 on all vehicles.

sorry, i CBF looking for ABS i am sure its in revision 01 somewhere, but if you think about it, ECS isnt going to do much without some form of automatic braking system.
there's definitely no rule for ABS - never has been in australia. you're right that stability control systems utilise the ABS module, but it would be redundant to require fitting ABS if stability control was required (which it is, soon).

anyway, none of those apply to a VY commodore. the only justification for defecting him would be if the ABS was illegally modified, which the OP said it wasn't.

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
nothing dodgy was happening in the carpark. The police officer only came into the carpark because the girl in the accident ( my mate ) called the police. Once he came and saw all the cars, sorted out the car accident eg called a tow truck as he deemed the car undriveable, while also calling for more police cars..

On the contrary cars in that car park at 2am is like hindley street on a saturday night. Packed out, all of the people at the carpark have conversations, smokes with some of the officers. joke around and all..

I spoke to the bloke that got defected as i rarely go out during the week & after i left the carpark he was speaking to one of the officers and while having a general conversation about the defect the police officer stated this 'You may know much more about us than cars but if we arent sure about a modification we will send you to regency to get it checked out by proper mechanics'

The mates i hang around with are the most chirpiest boys ever, wouldnt hurt a fly. when cops come we always say gday & have a chat with em. The officer that defected the 10 cars in the carpark was arrogant, swore & would not explain the defect nor give reason to why he deemed ABS illegal. As soon as he wrote out the last defect sticker he said have a grand night chaps and left the carpark no lights, didnt give way nor did he use his indicators..

i just wanted to spill not complain.