Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS and brake upgrade?

EGG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
I've never had a car with ABS before... when I really slam on the brakes on the vr, there's a fairly loud grunting noise and some shudder in the car.

I have no idea if the ABS is meant to work like this or not? My old vh just came to a squealing halt when you planted the brakes.

I nearly went into the front of my house today, so I was just wondering if ABS is meant to be smoother or something?

Other question is, a lot of people talk about upgrading to VT/VX brakes, how much better are they? and how much usually?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
EGG said:
I've never had a car with ABS before... when I really slam on the brakes on the vr, there's a fairly loud grunting noise and some shudder in the car.

I have no idea if the ABS is meant to work like this or not? My old vh just came to a squealing halt when you planted the brakes.

I nearly went into the front of my house today, so I was just wondering if ABS is meant to be smoother or something?

Other question is, a lot of people talk about upgrading to VT/VX brakes, how much better are they? and how much usually?

yea i dont think its ment to shudder, normally means your discs are warped and/or needs replacing or machining, there maybe other explainations, but my vrs doin the same and geting machined tomoz

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
dont waste your money on vt discs/brakes.. its alot of messing around and still not as good as performace discs..

i got a set of DBA's (slotted & cross drilled) on the fronts. probably the best mod i ever did as now i can stop the car lmao

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
With ABS if a wheel locks up (stops turning) whilst the others are turning, then the ABS will cut off the hydraulic pressure to the wheel that has stopped turning - allowing that wheel to rotate again and grip the road surface. This cutting off of hydraulic pressure is to the affected wheel only, and is felt as a rapid pulsing thru the brake pedal...you may also hear the ABS motor working. If you nearly went thru the front of your house with ABS then you may have ended up in the kitchen without ABS. The brakes with or without ABS should brake exactly the same until one wheel locks.....with ABS you regain control and without ABS you skid.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mine does the same thing, not due to ABS. My brakes just do it cause i give them a thumping, just warps them a bit.

Z

Z()LTAN

LOL ABS makes ur car bounce like a bastard thats the whole idea, shakes everyting to hell but makes u stop 80% quicker

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
hako said:
With ABS if a wheel locks up (stops turning) whilst the others are turning, then the ABS will cut off the hydraulic pressure to the wheel that has stopped turning - allowing that wheel to rotate again and grip the road surface. This cutting off of hydraulic pressure is to the affected wheel only, and is felt as a rapid pulsing thru the brake pedal...you may also hear the ABS motor working. If you nearly went thru the front of your house with ABS then you may have ended up in the kitchen without ABS. The brakes with or without ABS should brake exactly the same until one wheel locks.....with ABS you regain control and without ABS you skid.

and in emergency situations they may be able to save your car.

mine doesnt have abs and thanks to my clamping up i put my car on two wheels after skidding around some other bloke. [ struck a kerb ]