Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Acceleration hesitation - MY10 SIDI Omega

hithesurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore Acclaim
Hi Guys, When I accelerate, the car seems to hesitate sometimes (about 50% of the time).
Acceleration in general doesn't seem so smooth.
Is this normal for this model? It feels odd.
KMs: 66000.
Omega, 3.0l.

Thanks

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
G'day, I also have a 2010 Omega, 3.0L -
170,000 km - but it had a new motor at 110,000 km.
I have no such problem with hesitation.
I wish that I had clever suggestion to make ...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I'm with Shorty on this one... no delay for me either.

I'm just thinking though, I see your ride is still listed as a VS.
How long did you have the VS before picking up the VE as a normal daily driver?
Maybe you arent used to the response of newer cars and their computer wizardry?

Although you do say that it only happens 50% of the time... are the times that it happens in similar circumstances, or does it vary?
For instance, does that delay only happen when you are sitting at lights for a while? Or maybe when you first start it up?
Just spit balling here, as I cant say I've experienced any delay in mine mate.

maxthedralf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
its called throttle lag. for some reason the signal from the gear box and the accelerator dont marry up sometimes and you will get a lag that causes the throttle to open up later then it should. go to holders and get it updated and it will be sweet as.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Well I'm not going to claim any knowledge on the matter, I've never experienced it in car of mine. But looking in the Gregory's this is in their troubleshooting section.

Hesitation or stumble during acceleration
1. Ignition system not operating properly (See chapter 5)
2. Dirty or clogged fuel injector(s) (See chapter 4)
3. Low fuel pressure. Check for proper operation of the fuel pump and for restrictions in the fuel filter and lines (Chapter 4)
4. Fuel injection or engine control systems malfunction (Chapters 4 & 6)

So there's a few things the Gregory's thinks you should look at. Probably a good idea to grab a manual if you're going to tackle checking or working on it yourself. Might also be handy if you know anyone with a scan tool that can check for any error codes. Might have to be a Tech2 (or similar) rather than an ebay obd2 dongle for this though. Rather handy having a cheap ebay one, but it doesn't pick up all codes, only powertrain (P) codes (and I'm unsure if it reads historic codes - can't recall having a P code that wasn't current on mine to be sure). And yes it can have error codes logged even without a check engine light.

hithesurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore Acclaim
Thanks for all your advice.

I found this thread, where the symptoms seem similar. eg the car "often hunts through the gears during acceleration in an annoying fashion. Above all, I find the throttle lag so irritating with a 1 sec."

It happens more at lower speeds.

I've booked it into holden to take a look. I've never taken a car there, and hope i don't get a massive bill.

I did have a VS, and it did feel a lot nicer. I know it was a 3.8L with more torque, but it felt loads smoother and even more responsive. I loved that car - until the head gasket went!

hithesurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore Acclaim
Ok I took it into Holden and they cleaned throttle body.. 'Decarbon of throttle body chamber.'

The thing is that it is still happening. There may have been a slight improvement but hard to say.
There is still a lag ( not long, but long enough to be annoying), and there are times when the car momentarily hunts for gears.

I'll take it back to holden after the Easter break.. Any other suggestions?

hithesurf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Commodore Acclaim
So i've had Holden look at the issue 3 times now. They've cleaned the throttle, and reset the software.

However, these things are still happening:
- 'hunt for gear' moments. Particularly in low gears, with gentle acceleration. I think it happens more frequently when the fuel tank is low, and maybe on colder days.
- 1st and 2nd gear change jerk.
- throttle delay. I think this has improved with the software reset. But it's definitely still happening.

The guys at Holden said there are no error messages, and that everything is normal.. they say it's normal for a VE.
But to me it cannot be normal. It really is extremely frustrating/ annoying to drive. I have driven plenty of new and old cars, and have never experienced this.. I am sure it isn't normal.

I think i will get a second opinion at another Holden service place. Can anyone suggest a good Sydney service centre? It's Ryde i've been too. Or a good non holden mechanic?

Any further thoughts on these suggestions:

Hesitation or stumble during acceleration
1. Ignition system not operating properly (See chapter 5)
2. Dirty or clogged fuel injector(s) (See chapter 4)
3. Low fuel pressure. Check for proper operation of the fuel pump and for restrictions in the fuel filter and lines (Chapter 4)
4. Fuel injection or engine control systems malfunction (Chapters 4 & 6)

Todd kirsten

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Berlina 3.0 Series 1
Hi hithesurf did you find the cause of this problem. I know it was two years ago but I only just thought to search online as I also have the same problem with my VE. Very annoying. Any help would be great.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
My wife has a MY10 omega that is doing the same thing. Sometimes when going around a corner and you start to accelerate away the car has a big dead spot and wont go then comes to life and goes. We have had it back to holden and they cleaned the throttle body and checked the software. They told us there is nothing indicating a problem when they tested it and drove the car. They said it is normal for the 3.0 litre engine to do this and we should live with it. I argued with the service manager for a few minutes over this but was getting nowhere so I will take it somewhere else next service.