Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding USB Connectivity

nytrydr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6
Hi guys, im from Saudi Arabia and im planning on buying a base model 2008 Holden Calais (V6) real soon. now that model doesn't come with USB connectivity for the audio player but is there any way i can add it whilst keeping the original audio player intact? (i don't want to spend extra money on a new cd player)

~cheers! :idea3:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Having a VE Calais myself I don't believe there is any way of modifying the head unit to perform such a function. I certainly haven't come across anything yet as I have thought the same thing as you previously.

Also note that the Calais climate controls form part of the headunit so replacing it isn't an option either which really sucks. You can't separate them.

There are some companies coming out with iPod connectors for these units now if thats what your intending to hook up to the audio system. Some even allow you to change songs with the steering controls i believe.

Hope that helps.

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
I saw a gadget once which plugs into your cigarette lighter (or w/e its called now), has a USB port and an FM transmitter. You plug your MP3 into it and listen thru your radio tuned in. IIRC it sold for AUD$50 or some such... good news it is completely non-invasive, bad news the audio quality will be crap.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I saw a gadget once which plugs into your cigarette lighter (or w/e its called now), has a USB port and an FM transmitter. You plug your MP3 into it and listen thru your radio tuned in. IIRC it sold for AUD$50 or some such... good news it is completely non-invasive, bad news the audio quality will be crap.

dude, i know you mean no harm , but lol we are in Saudi Arabia not stone age :rofl2:, btw the lighter player is like 5$ around here even with MiniSD memory reader. don't let anyone fool ya :)

as for the original matter
I dunno about the USB port, but the AUX is doing it fine for me to connect the phone to the car speakers, and the sound is as good as CDs, the Calais have an AUX right ?

I seriously don't get it though why some lower-level cars like KIA & Hyundai have more user friendly stuff ( like a USB port ) than our pricey Holdens ! , no offense to cheap car owners, I have one myself :spew:

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
dude, i know you mean no harm , but lol we are in Saudi Arabia not stone age :rofl2:
There's a difference? lol , seriously, hows life in Saudi working out for ya? The drivers there are hell on wheels, we have nothing to complain about here in Oz with Volvo and asian drivers. (sorry thread hijack....)

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
What about a rear AUX component in mod??

I am using this for my Ipod connection. I can play videos and listen to music and its quite cheap too!

nytrydr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6
What about a rear AUX component in mod??

I am using this for my Ipod connection. I can play videos and listen to music and its quite cheap too!

what exactly is this mod? can you tell me more about it?

on the other hand, can anyone tell me if this car portal thing will work on a VE Omega: Kenwood - CarPortal?

Thanks

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
All I can say is good luck integrating anything else into a VE calais. It's basically all built into one with air-conditioning and stereo. That Alpine unit won't work, because then you lose all your aircon controls. I have seen a few guys mount an aftermarket head unit in the glovebox to add things like iPods and what not. I totally agree with what you're saying. For a car that was just released, they could have so easily integrated something like an iPod connection or USB connectivity of some kind. There is a 3.5mm aux in jack which you can plug MP3 players and iPods into, but you still have to control what plays through the device itself.

nytrydr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6
All I can say is good luck integrating anything else into a VE calais. It's basically all built into one with air-conditioning and stereo. That Alpine unit won't work, because then you lose all your aircon controls. I have seen a few guys mount an aftermarket head unit in the glovebox to add things like iPods and what not. I totally agree with what you're saying. For a car that was just released, they could have so easily integrated something like an iPod connection or USB connectivity of some kind. There is a 3.5mm aux in jack which you can plug MP3 players and iPods into, but you still have to control what plays through the device itself.

yeah its kinda ridiculous to be honest...what about the base model Omega though? it doesn't have a that color screen and as far as i know the air con controls in it are seperate.

r76sk9.jpg