Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ADVICE ASAP: Power Steering Leak

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Hi
Troy 711, The dealer I go to is Commonwealth Motors in Phillip ACT. these guys have always been resonable in relation to claims I've had.
I have owned many (40 at least) new or cars covered under new car warranty, and in 95% of the time had most faults fixed under warranty.(mostly not Holden by the way)
Look guys, BMW or Merc (owned 7 vehicles) are no better then what I see at Holden! What I see at Holden is if it is a reasonable claim, and you are reasonable about the way you approach the problem and resolution, then in most cases the outcome is favorable? I have had to go to Holden HQ twice in my life and spent a considerable amount of time to get retification for a problem from production? But in the end I have had a good outcome!
Steering leaks.............well the first thing I do when I get a new car is pull all the crap engine covers off and go thru and tighten all the hoses up, fuel, radiator, oil etc etc. Yes, did it on my SV6, VX2SS & v2 monaro, AND YES, some of them were loose to what I would expect? But again I have done this on the 4 BMWs I have owned as well! And guess what, on 2 of those vital clamps were loose or leaking?
Look, bang for bucks, these Holden things arn't bad? and I think we all agree on this? But take some of these forum comments into your own hands and if like what you have read, pull the bloody engine covers off and have a look. Better still grab a spanner and screwdriver and tighten the offending pipe! In the end, think about it, its only you that don't have a car to drive while your car is being fixed, either under warranty or outside warranty.
Forums are for sharing learnt knowledge based on experience of others?

Based on what I see, anyone that owns a VZ Dunnydore should rip off the head plastic covers and check for themselves if there pwr steer pipes are leaking or loose? Who knows, you guys may even learn what lives under covers????

Any holden mechanic reading this might like to specify what torque setting is required for this connection?

Lets start putting some good stuff into this forum, rather this winge, bitch and complain? Read the Ford EA-EL forum..... full of great ideas and fixes?
And no, I'm not a Ford plant, just someone who is trying to lift this forum sites output a bit!
Ian

steane

Reaction score
Website
www.carupdate.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Maloo 6spd
My 1998 VT Clubsport drained of power steering fluid in my first week of ownership, so obviously its been a factory issue for many years now.
The dealer tightened the clamps and re-filled it and it wasnt a problem, despite having been run briefly with no fluid.
I've had 3 new holdens/HSV's since then without the same problem occuring again.

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Well who's the bunny then?

Well it looks like I owe TROY 711 a bit of an apology then?
I sounded off a bit on the issue that if you approach dealers in a polite manner then you always get satisfaction (mostly) and if you take a screwdriver and do a little bit more then peck under the bonnet, you shouldn't go wrong by preventing half these problems eg pwr steer hose leaks from occuring!
HOW WRONG WAS I!!!!
Three days ago my pwr steer hose sh%%$t itself and leaked a litre of Dextron11 onto the road. This is after I had checked and tightened clamps only 3 months ago? Phoned the dealer, and the service guy basically said " when is this ever going to stop happening, all we can do is replace the pipe and clamps, but you run the risk this may happen again"! He went on to say if you are prepared to pay extra that they will install "aircraft quality" clamps which go a long towards solving the problem? Now Troy 711, I'm with you, this sucks!
Well I have just taken it to mate of mine that has been building "tough" Holdens and Fords for a long time. He has double clamped it using better quality clamps and is reviewing a better long term option?

I would suggest that everybody keep a very close watch on this pwr steer hose as Holden don't appear to be acknowledging the problem (which could be life threating in the event of a pipe blowing) and rectifing when the vehicle is in for service? Yes my vehicle was inspected only 4 days ago for another issue and this was not picked up?
Sadly when these vehicles run out of warranty, guess who is going to hold the can............................?

Bewarned and be aware!

IanW

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
yeah.. had my ute serviced recently (30000).... slight leakage of steering fluid from the hose to pipeline join... loose clamp... same with a loose radiator hose clamp few nips up n luckan farfan!

JanetSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ignition
Hi guys, I've been reading thru this with interest. I'm a chick and not dumb but was wondering what covers I will need to remove to check the power steering pump for leaks. I know old Holden motors but not the new ones. Weve had a few commies (VN onwards) but i've never had to have to remove covers to check anything that should be done with servicing. I've allways checked everything else but this one has got me thinking.

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Hi JANETSV6

I guess the point I'm making is that it seems that pwr steer connections are a common problem (as confirmed by the comment from the service manager and others here) and that all hoses and pipes and connectors should be checked. Removing the two covers eitherside of the central air intake manifold ie: the plastic cover covering the DOHC cylinder heads. Grab the LH or RH side of the engine cover and lift up, the front will pop up and the rear will pop out of its fitting, its only a press in rubber fit. Under the RHS is the pwr steer oil plastic container and pipes and while you are there check all the other fittings and wiring. But the problem with the pwr steer is not usually located under the engine covers?
The problem most people have been having is between the radiator and the engine right down the bottom on the LHS. There will a grey pipe going to the steering rack that has a rubber pipe (about 10" long) with a clamp on either end. This pipe and the clamps are the problem. This is not to be confussed with the bigger pipes(if your car is an auto) that also run to the radiator? Bit hard to explain but if you like I will take a pic of the offending part and post it here?
Ian

JanetSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ignition
hi west55, thanks very much. just had a look at the suspect hose and it is about half way off heading to the power steering rack. also noticed that the bottom radiatior hose heading to the motor is half way off as well so that may be a big one for everyone else to check on too. Major cooling system probs could be on their way as well. Gonna take the car to holden tomorrow and get them to check it out. Hopefully they will do something about it as I know what to show them They cant back out of fixing it if they are shown what the problems are. Many thanks. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Cheers Janet

Dogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Crewman
WOW.... I had the same problem on an 05 Crewman strom at 8500km... I got told it was a loose clamp.

Sound preety odd so many people have had the same problem.

Weekly check the power steering... give me a break!.

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
Ian and Troy. I gave up going to dealers for anything except warranty claims here in Canberra 20 years ago. This is with Ford,Toyota,Mazda and Holden. From friend's experiences and now what you are saying nothing has changed. I use BARS in Mitchell for mechanical and accident repairs and have never had a complaint. When they do services, they not only do what you ask, but will look over everything else.