Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice Requested - VZ 2005 3.6L Auto Transmission Problems

bennny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005
Hi guys,

I apologize if this particular scenario has been previously covered, however I carried out a search and was unable to find anything similar.

The car is a 2005 VZ 3.6L Executive 4sp Auto. All of a sudden the following symptoms have been occurring:

-"Check Powertrain" alarm goes off
-Speedo reads zero constantly
-Very sudden and violent changes between Reverse and Drive whilst stationary (or even moving very slowly).
-Car accelerates as normal for the first few gear changes, then appears to stick in a high gear. If I pull over and take my foot off the brake, the car will not move unless pointing downhill. If I take off again, it is stuck in a higher gear and is exactly the same as trying to take off in a manual in 3rd or 4th gear (but without the stalling).

Obviously I am suspecting the transmission but as I don't know a lot about the car, I thought I'd ask here in case it is a known problem, or could be some type of sensor.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Ben.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Ben, first things first mate. Have you checked your transmission fluid lately? How many km on the car, and when was the last time the box was serviced? I only say this because it is very easy to over-diagnose transmission issues as they can get very rough, very fast with low or poor quality fluid

Then in regards to the Speedo and other issues, bring it to Holden, or even your local mechanic who might have a scan tool, and check to see if any dtcs have been reported. Obviously check powertrain shows on the dash, but there are a lot of different codes that the ecu can throw to have the check powertrain warning sound. It sounds like the car has lost signal from the wheel speed sensor. Is the abs failure light also on?

bennny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005
Ben, first things first mate. Have you checked your transmission fluid lately? How many km on the car, and when was the last time the box was serviced? I only say this because it is very easy to over-diagnose transmission issues as they can get very rough, very fast with low or poor quality fluid

Hey mate,

Sorry for not including the basics!

It has about 170,000km. The transmission fluid level is fine, the transmission itself was serviced about 8 months ago/6-7000 km ago. The fluid quality is fine, it hasn't broken down any more than would be expected. The joys of being an aircraft engineer haha...

Cheers.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Speedometer not working could indicate a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. That would make the auto do all sorts of weird things.

Bite the bullet and get it diagnosed and save yourself some time.:)

michael862234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
Hi Bennny,
did u diagnose and fix this problem with your transmission?
if so could you please let me know how you fixed it as i am having the exact same problems.

Cheers!

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
looking for answers to this exact problem , has anyone come up with some ....

hi all,been looking for answers to this exact problem happening with my 1tonner,before these alarms started,the vehicle would labour & splutter under acceleration,took it to mechanic who said it is the coils,not able to part with 500 bucks to fix before xmas i left it,now the alarms & all these symtoms are happening, just like what benny has quoted,
i guess the only way is to get it scanned but there is no garantee it will diagnose the right problem.
hate it when they say "we will start with this & see",at my expence.
i only use a mechanic to diagnose & then i will fix the issue myself...

cheers all
happy new year
TONNER_JEZ

Hi guys,

I apologize if this particular scenario has been previously covered, however I carried out a search and was unable to find anything similar.

The car is a 2005 VZ 3.6L Executive 4sp Auto. All of a sudden the following symptoms have been occurring:

-"Check Powertrain" alarm goes off
-Speedo reads zero constantly
-Very sudden and violent changes between Reverse and Drive whilst stationary (or even moving very slowly).
-Car accelerates as normal for the first few gear changes, then appears to stick in a high gear. If I pull over and take my foot off the brake, the car will not move unless pointing downhill. If I take off again, it is stuck in a higher gear and is exactly the same as trying to take off in a manual in 3rd or 4th gear (but without the stalling).

Obviously I am suspecting the transmission but as I don't know a lot about the car, I thought I'd ask here in case it is a known problem, or could be some type of sensor.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Ben.

michael862234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
Hi all,
My vehicle - 2004 vz ute s. transmission: 4L60e 4spd automatic. 190 000 km
I was experiencing very similar problems to benny as stated is his first post:
check power train alarm
service vehicle soon alarm
Transmission very heavy thud when manual changing
Drive would only have 2 gears, 2nd and 3rd.
Manual 2nd and 3rd work. and 1st just goes into 2nd.
Car is very sluggish off the line as it is in 2nd gear.
Speedometer reads zero regardless of speed/gear.
Car will not roll backwards.
Basically all these problems are related to the transmission going into "limp home mode".
I took the car to holden to get it diagnosed and it turns out the TCM (transmission control module) is not receiving any electrical signal.
Total cost was $740 to check TCM wiring, supply new TCM fit and program, clear all codes.
Im not sure if this is a fair price as i can not find anyone else who has had this work done, let me know what u think.
I hope this helps people with similar problems.

Cheers!