Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air bubbles in power steering

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hello all!

I've just had my car looked at by an RACV mechanic whose found my VY Calais to have air bubbles in the power steering resevior. Any possibilties on how to remove the air bubbles? He told me that the hoses are sealed properly and the car will remove it air bubbles automatically while i drive....is this true?

Oh btw, the fluid is red and was serviced by the dealership

Thank you all for your comments in advance

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
1. The fluid is red because the system uses Dexron 111 auto transmission fluid (as used for your auto Transmission).

2. If you were able to jack up the front of the vehicle so both wheels were free you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock 10 or so times and most of the air should be expunged - with the engine running and the PS pump in operation of course.

If not get to an empty car park and, while driving very slowly, turn the wheel from lock to lock many times. This should also get rid of much of the air.

3. It looks like the power steering hoses were disconnected and the fluid drained from the system and then replenished without the air being expunged.

Alternatively the fluid in the PS reservoir has been pumped out below the hose level and replenished. Exposing the hoses to air from the inside where they connect to the reservoir obviously allows air into the PS system.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Have you applied these methods yourself Sean880? I will give eiher of the two methods a try today (if i've got time) to see if successful.

Thank you for your comments

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
1. The fluid is red because the system uses Dexron 111 auto transmission fluid (as used for your auto Transmission).

2. If you were able to jack up the front of the vehicle so both wheels were free you can turn the steering wheel lock to lock 10 or so times and most of the air should be expunged - with the engine running and the PS pump in operation of course.

If not get to an empty car park and, while driving very slowly, turn the wheel from lock to lock many times. This should also get rid of much of the air.

3. It looks like the power steering hoses were disconnected and the fluid drained from the system and then replenished without the air being expunged.

Alternatively the fluid in the PS reservoir has been pumped out below the hose level and replenished. Exposing the hoses to air from the inside where they connect to the reservoir obviously allows air into the PS system.

+1
the bubbles will come out as you drive. if you want to get rid of them faster, do the above steps.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Thank you both. I've drivin the car 15kms down the road and its resolved the isue. I even had the car look at by a tyre serviceman and he told me theres nothing to worry about. Great news!!!!

If only all the cars fixed themselves up automatically haha