Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air con demister

riba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0 S1
hey need help

1. i have a VT Calais my demister is leaving an oily residue on windscreen after engine has stopped and demister wont demist this, any one else with the same prob and is there any resolutions for it?

2. Also have noticed from time to time smoke comes out from vents and behind steering wheel?
any help would be greatly appreciated

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Sounds like you have a leak in either the evaporator or the heater core.
My guess would be the heater core and that the film is coolant, but it could be refrigerant oil from the evaporator.
If you have been operating the aircon in winter for demisting, then the air from the evaporator actually blows though the heater core, vapor that rises from this after you switch off condenses on the windscreen.
It can also be due to a lot of filth and dirt that has accumulated on the evaporator which absorbs water while the evaporator gets cold and then rereleases when the evaporator becomes warm again after parking.

DarkCrystal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Hey there... when you turn off the car, make sure your heater controlls arn't set to demist... this will sort your problem.. Most commodores will leave a residue on the windscreen if left overnight with the heater set to demist. Worked for me...

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Hey there... when you turn off the car, make sure your heater controlls arn't set to demist... this will sort your problem.. Most commodores will leave a residue on the windscreen if left overnight with the heater set to demist. Worked for me...

Yes, that may stop the problem getting to the screen, but more than likely it will be blowing dirty stuff out, not good for those who need to keep clean.

riba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0 S1
yeh have tried that but still fogs up

riba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0 S1
if it was the heater core wouldnt it be leaking on carpet floor and has the smoke coming from behind steering got anything to do with it?

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
"if it was the heater core wouldnt it be leaking on carpet floor"

No, the leaked coolant will drain from the a/con evaporator drain pipe which is under the vehicle. (next to the trans L/H side)
Smoke comes from something burning! are you sure it is smoke? or not something that looks like smoke, like vapour?

Pablo

sheapard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Aclaim
Great! Sounds exactly like whats wrong with my vt as well, Blows a vapour through the vents when the heater is on, The windscreens will no demist, demister makes it worse if anything and there is a sweet smell? coming from the heater. I could never work out where the leak was under the car until someone mentioned the air con drain tube. Does anyone know how easy this job is to takle yourself? Does the aircon also need regassing or can this section be removed with out touching the air con.. If it is professionaly done any idea of price? Can anyone recomend someone in the Maitland-Newcastle area to get this job done at?

Thanks

02v6berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx berlina s2
Hey guys so I took my vx today in to get a rwc and they didn’t pass it for quite a few things but one thing that I don’t get is that I didn’t pass cause my dimister didn’t get warm enough. Don’t know if they guy just picked what he did cause I’m a girl or if being legit but can anyone help and tell me if there’s a way to fix this

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You might need a new heater tap which controls the flow of coolant through the heater. They can get corroded over time and jam, either in the open, closed, or partial open position. Could also be a problem with the vacuum hose attached to the heater tap.