Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air filter questions

tom297

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
You'll be better off with the factory panel filter and airbox lid. The MAF needs to have dead straight piping before and after it (you'll notice the shape of the airbox lid for this reason). Otherwise your AFR's will be off. There's nothing wrong with panel filters at all, and certainly aren't a restriction on an ecotec.

BUT the best cold air intakes are the MACE style ones. Unfortunately your setup won't reduce the amount of hot air being ingested - which is the main cause of performance decrease.

New plugs, leads, fuel filter and coils are a good place to start to regain a bit of lost performance (as well as improving reliability).
Thanks for reply i wasnt aware the maf needed that, i will be making a new design to incorporate all these new factors ive learnt cheers

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I stuck a MACE cold pod mod on mine. In retrospect I don't think it did much except look 'interesting' and add a sucking sound .

tom297

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I stuck a MACE cold pod mod on mine. In retrospect I don't think it did much except look 'interesting' and add a sucking sound .
lol yeah i just had it laying around from an old car i wrecked, thought ill see how it goes, havnt really noticed any real diffrence

tom297

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Update: Scrapped the old airbox and whipped up a sheet metal design so it takes air from behind the headlight and the old grill intake. Cost about $30, will put seal around some sharp edges and looking into lacing it in a heat resistant material for inside box.
16128412_10210087294012191_1233967158_n.jpg
16144732_1897049353860181_1769456416_n.jpg
16117897_1897049417193508_517155129_n.jpg

Last edited:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Pretty much the same shape as the Mace one but their's isn't made out of metal, which will turn into it's own 'hotbox'. Just an observation.

Also notice dust on your coilpacks. That looks very much like mine. Since I live down a dirt road it's no use 'dusting' the engine. Hard enough to keep the outside decent.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE (BOGAN EDITION)
Looks good mate but make sure you get some heat shield insulation matting and cover it in that otherwise it will make it hotter not cooler

tom297

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I did remember your comment after I posted. I don't think making an observation is that much of a negative ****. How's this I'll even be helpful. I used some of that super sticky noise and heat reduction sheeting on a firewall and it worked well.
lol na yeah cheers mate thats what im after cause ya right it does get bloody hot but hopefully some insulation does the trick

Dak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
With all the above, unless your engine has other mods done these will make no difference, if anything they will make it worse, the factory intake supplies more than enough for the needs of the engine, and it's cold air. And yes, I've experimented with changes on a dyno.

tom297

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
With all the above, unless your engine has other mods done these will make no difference, if anything they will make it worse, the factory intake supplies more than enough for the needs of the engine, and it's cold air. And yes, I've experimented with changes on a dyno.
cool. cai would only have a real effect when moving not stationary in garage.