Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressors?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi All,
I have a new noise under the hood which I believe is coming from the aircon compressor. Visiting a mech on Wednesday to give him a listen and see what I can learn. I've had a quick look on ebay and found new compressors (for V6) for $455. Don't know if they're any good but say they have a 5 year warranty. What are the chances of scoring a used one and what's involved in recon. I'm interested in suggestions, advice experience etc. Thanks in advance and cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can just replace the clutch and or the bearing on the comp Rob. The factory Sanden units are by far the best on these old cars.
I assume it's still working but making the typical bearing whine?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you have a mechanics stethoscope have a listen and try to isolate the noise. If a cheap compressor fails later , the compressor component cost is only part of the cost of the replacement, you also have labour and a vac out/regas. I replaced mine last year with a Sanden.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks guys. Yes it is still pumping cold air. She's at the mech's now confirming the diagnosis so I should know more later today. Good to know that replacing the clutch and bearing is an option. Thanks Losh.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Well my amateur mechanic skills were shown up again. Turns out it's the power steering pump making all the noise.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In that case buy a rebuilt Saganaw don't mess with anything aftermarket.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
In that case buy a rebuilt Saganaw don't mess with anything aftermarket.
Yep, and don't forget the standard and variable ratio pumps are different. I also changed the fluid after a short run with the new pump.

I got my rebuilt pump from Active Power Steering-phone 02 9565 2600

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Is Saganaw the original manufacture?
At this stage I’m getting a locally remanufactured for $190 but I don’t know if it’s a Saganaw. I did see after market replacements for a lower price including one that offered a 5 year warranty from within Aus but my mechanics said they would fit it but any problems that emerged would be my problem to deal with so I stuck with the local product they are sourcing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Saginaw is original.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
I recently installed a Davies Craig cooler on my original Saginaw. $63 bucks it's a winner smoother quieter and the small leak from front seal gone. :) :) :)