Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon repairs.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
My A/C compressor has just packed it in (naturally on the first hot day we have had for ages) and I've been quoted a little over $1100 for a new compressor, receiver/dryer and seals plus fitting and regassing. I am going to buy the parts and fit them myself and then get it regassed. I can get a genuine new compressor on ebay for $390, sounds good to me unless someone knows somewhere cheaper.
My main question is, is it necessary to replace the receiver/dryer? I changed the compressor on my old VT without replacing the receiver/dryer and didn't have any problems. Perhaps someone with knowledge in this field can enlighten me.

Last edited:

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Hey mate,I think you're definitely on the right track.Last night I noticed that I'm getting a tiny bit of noise from the front of my compressor.It's due for a service next month (2 years since last regas) and so this morning I was on the Holmart site checking the price on a new one.I'm not sure about the receiver dryer,I seem to remember being told that I should replace it every second service (4 years) but I'm not sure so I'll watch your thread with interest.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
Sorry mate,I do this all the time lately.To answer the other part of your question.Delphi compressor ex Holmart $375,receiver drier $59

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
since this is an air con thread i may be able to ask.
i took my 96 VS in to get it regassed and they told me they couldnt do it because the bottom pipe just near the condensor has a leak in it,and they told me that theyd have to replace the top pipe bottom pipe and the TX valve, i am just wanting to know if it is possible to put second hand piping on it or would it be advisable to get new ones?and how nmuch would it be for the parts if anyone may know this.my compressor is fine

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry mate,I do this all the time lately.To answer the other part of your question.Delphi compressor ex Holmart $375,receiver drier $59

Thanks for that. I didn't even think of Holmart even though I have bought from the a few times now.
Edit: Just checked Holmart and a compressor for an LS1 is actually $439

Last edited:

DJRandom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore V
to the original question it is best to change the reciever dryer incase of any rubbish in the system aswell as a a/c flush but you can just change the compressor without changing the reciever dryer but if your compressor fails you may not get any warranty on it because you havnt changed the reciever dryer and done a flush.

hope this helps

also if your looking at prices from holmart you might want to give SSS Auto Parts a call as holmart buys from SSS Auto Parts and on sells it
they have branches in brisbane , melbourne , sydney , perth

Sydney - (02)9723 0888
Melbourne - (03)9288 7888
Brisbane - (07)3715 2888
Perth - (08)9377 3777

hope this info helps you out

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
to the original question it is best to change the reciever dryer incase of any rubbish in the system aswell as a a/c flush but you can just change the compressor without changing the reciever dryer but if your compressor fails you may not get any warranty on it because you havnt changed the reciever dryer and done a flush.

hope this helps

also if your looking at prices from holmart you might want to give SSS Auto Parts a call as holmart buys from SSS Auto Parts and on sells it
they have branches in brisbane , melbourne , sydney , perth

Sydney - (02)9723 0888
Melbourne - (03)9288 7888
Brisbane - (07)3715 2888
Perth - (08)9377 3777

hope this info helps you out
Thanks for the information. I have replaced the receiver/ drier anyway to be on the safe side. I have ordered a compressor from Holmart, it was shipped on Tueasday and I'm still waiting. They gave me a tracking number but it doesn't seem to be in the system, so I will call them tomorrow to see what's going on. Too bad I didn't know about SSS Auto Parts earlier.
It's been an expensive week, yesterday I replaced the radiator, water pump and heater tap. Power steering pump and alternator not long ago too. I think that covers nearly everything hanging from the engine.

DJRandom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore V
yeah i only found out about holmart buying and onselling sss auto parts products because when i had an accident and car was at panel beaters i bought panels from holmart and it had to come from melbourne and then when the panel beater finally recieved the stuff it had sss auto parts stickers on them and also the bonnet was stuffed and un useable and holmart had to send me a new 1 so i was kinda angry when i found out because i work right next door to sss auto parts at villawood and i know about compressors and reciever dryers and stuff because i recondition them as a job :p anyway its always best to change reciever dryer and flush the system to keep warranty

also i had issues with tracking numbers and it took awhile to get to me.

Last edited: