Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy wheel noise. Is this possible.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I drove down to Bridgestone, and they said they have no tyre quieter. He looked the tyres over and we took a test drive. Their opinion is, take them back. They are definitely noisier than they should be.

Tyre tread pattern can cause noise issues....

That being said, perhaps take the tyres back to a the place that you bought them from, or a place that deals with the particular brand and request their opinion....If you are un happy, you have the right to speak to the tyre brand representative and see if they agree with your complaint and see if they will help in someway with supplying another set and see if the problem goes away....

I know you live in a different country to myself, however I'm fairly sure the process would be the same over in NZ as it is in Australia....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Road noise and tyre choice is a compromise I've found

Nice quite "all season" type tyres are typically much quiter that a "summer" performance tyre

But you are comprising performance

If you drive a mom and dad taxi, you want a "all season" tyre, they are typically quiter, and last along time

If you want a nice performance tyres then typically the NVH will increases

When I purchased my car it had some Achilles "sport" 265 width tyres, 400 treadwear, they were quite, OK in the wet, but when pushed in the dry they gripped like.......well, they really didn't grip at all, they were rubbish

I then replaced them with Bridgestone RE003's, 245 width, 220 treadwear, they lasted pretty well, but they were a little bit louder, but gripped average in the wet and OK in the dry, but they were 100% better than the Achilles, even at 20mm smaller than the Achilles

Not I'm running Hankook RS4's, 255 width, 200 treadwear, which are lasting quite well, I used these tyres when I use to track my Skyline and MX5 and was required to have a tyre with a treadwear of 200 or higher, they are the noisiest tyre yet and whilst average in the cold and wet, they drip really good dry in the dry, and excellent when it's dry and the temps are above 20°C, a much better tyre than the RE003's, albeit they are 10mm wider

The thing is I want more grip, I'm looking for a street legal tyre that won't break the bank but grips like......stuff to a blanket

I'm going to try some Toyo R888 R 100 treadwear, on the VX next, I know they grip like...stuff to a blanket in the dry, but are noisy and don't last along time at a 100 treadwear rating

I've gone a bit long with my reply, but as I don't really care about road noise, only performance, these are my findings from chasing grip

There are simple ways to fix it:
Drown it out with music, exhaust, blower whine, or you could add some deadener if you don't mind the extra weight

Have a google about EV's and road noise from tyres, the Tesla boys are all over it

Good luck with your search

Humm, longer lasting tyres actually produce more road noise, because the compound is harder and you actually find the tread depth is deeper...These 2 factors alone can cause road noise....Mum and Dad's taxi want a longer lasting tyre, not a performance tyre....

The tyres in question would actually be a softer compound as they made for performance not for Mum and Dads taxi, where they want maximum mileage....

We could also go into tread patterns effectng how road noise is transmitted, however for the purpose of this thread I don't see any point in it as the tyres in question have a rather tame tread pattern, which means in the early stages of their life, they should be quiet

Waz888v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ls1 s2
When i bought my ute, it had stock 18” rims snd tyres on. I swapped them out to to bfw dive staggered 20” with cheap chinese tyres while i waited for a decent michelin special to come along.
I then bought a set of niche missimo 20” with michelin pilot 275/35’s all round.
Immediately upon hitting the bitumen, i noticed wheel noise for the first time.
I don’t think it’s the tyres so is it possible that rims create noise?
I had the same problem I ended up getting kumos hs51 quite as really good grip on a vy Ute 18 inch rims
I get about 1 1/2 years on the rears 2 years on the front providing wheel alignment OK daily driver for work that's including my work tools in the back there are better tyres out there for grip and no noise but I have never got the milage as with kumo tyres in extreme heat and cold weather

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
+4 for tyres. Had all sort of noise problems with the OEM Contisportcontact tyres on the GenF2 GTS.
I lowered a 3000km R8 a couple of years ago and wheel aligned it, and the car tram lined all over the place. I didn't drive the car before hand and after playing with wheel alignment settings for 2 days with no improvement, I swapped the wheels off a mates GTS with Bridgestone S001's and the car drove mint and massively quieter. It was the OEM Conti's my opinion of them now is absolute garbage and I'd prefer a cheapy set of Nankang's.

ol smokey

Reaction score
Members Ride
'82 VH wagon, '97 VT wagon, now '17 SS VF2 wagon
someone didn't put em on backwards did they?

I don't understand this question. If they are directional you'd find that the left side would be on backwards and the right side correct (or vice versa). Can you buy lefthand tires and righthand tires? I've never heard of it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I don't understand this question. If they are directional you'd find that the left side would be on backwards and the right side correct (or vice versa). Can you buy lefthand tires and righthand tires? I've never heard of it.

never mind, a directional tyre can be fitted backwards (on the wall you see a "this side out" marking). I forgot the PS4 isn't directional - you think i'd know i have PS4S on my car.

JakovHard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Ute
The retailer is suggesting the noise is normal for the pilot 4s. The actual owner made a thorough inspection of the rims, tyres, bearings and ball joints. He was willing to let me test brand-new Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3 and Pirelli PZ's.

I'm not willing to waste a companies resources due to my poor decision and I've accepted these are just noisier tyres than I'd prefer, so I'll run them down and make a more informed choice next time. I'll leave that behaviour to the modern snowflake generations.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Yep. Directional tyres don't have an inside or outside, they have an arrow showing rotation direction.
All to do with water dispersal, pumping water to the outside.
If they are correctly fitted, then later the wheels swapped side to side, they will then be backwards, and pump water to the inside. Bad..

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Geez, that’s about the first time I think I have heard Michelin PS4S’s being regarded as a poor decision!!
Mine aren’t noisy, others here don’t seem to think they are noisy? Perhaps they have changed in some aspect, mine are a few years old now but only have 9000 km on them. They are easily the best tyres I have had.