Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec conversion into VL Calais

Jakester1288

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing yet
Alright guys, I know this will probably end up with lots of school holidays responses etc, and yes, I am 15.

But I have a keen interest in cars, and that's why I'm here...to learn more.

As you chaps know, on my p plates I have to drive a N/A 6 cylinder car. Now I love VL's, particularly Calais. So, what I'm thinking is, instead of having a 26 year old engine, with 114 kw's, why not drop in a 6-7 year old engine, with 190 kws?

What I want to know is, what sort of things will I have to do. I'll hopefully be skilled enough (starting a mechanics course at TAFE in 10 months) to do the conversion myself with a bit of help from dad (who has no clue generally) and my mates/workmates. But what mods will I need to do to make it work (eg tailshafts, stronger gearboxes, wiring etc) will I have to do?

Thanks for your help.

madmaskbass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl V8 wagon
well its a fairly logical idea but....it will cost you waaay too much money to be worth it..it would cost you like anywhere up to five grand to convert where as if you put a nice performance rebuild through the rb30 you will get that figure easily..the best thing about doing this is as soon as you go opens get a nice turbo and intercooler and then you are getting into serious power modes..this is not an easy thing to accomplish on the v6 alloytec engine...just because a motor is older does not mean it is worse..actually that motor is alot easier to upgrade and work with than the alloytec (which is still a good motor dont get me wrong)

The skill involved in the conversion is NOT a beginner based mod there are a million things that need to be done..unless you are absolutley certain about what you are getting into i would discourage this idea!!
a more common engine transplant is to the vn-vt 304 v8 but this does not apply to you YET anyway!!
have a look at what some people actually ALOT of people have doen to that motor you are so keen to chuck away they can be turned into a really serious motor with not TOO much work!!

Jakester1288

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing yet
What sort of performance mods would I have to do to the RB30 to get 190 at the flywheel?

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
if you put a nice performance rebuild through the rb30 you will get that figure easily

Not a chance in hell in getting close to that figure... I would have to be a very highly strung motor & then once u got there it would never be suitable for a turbo at all...

The other coversion u can do its the ecotec from a VS it would be almost bolt in, more economical & ALOT cheaper....

My advice to u would be to grin & bear the tired old motor untill u get on ur opens & save ur pennys for BIGGER & BETTER things

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Definitely not worth it.... the 190kw alloytec isnt exactly fast in its self..... although in a lightweight vl it would be okay, it would cost too much to be feasible.

dzach23

Bra Bra Potato Potato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina Series 1 genesis blue
not to forget it will be a modified car, which your more then likely not allowed to drive on your p's...

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
dont drop an ecotec in as said above waist of $$$$.

what i would do is save save save
throw a manual in it
service
extractors with 2.5inch
and just enjoy cruising

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
As much as I love the alloytecs I can't see this being feasible. Not unless you pick all the parts up from the wreckers. And even then it would be a costly excercise. It would be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand VZ SV6 and much more reliable.