Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec tune and other issues

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
My engine has started to feel a bit rough around the edges. The car has done 140,000kms and the engine has started to make some odd noises. Like a grind/buzz noise just under 2,000 and 3,000rpm and at idle it sounds like an old banger. Would a tune sort these problems out? I just wanted to know from some people who have had their engine tuned. Also, what sort of power gains would I be looking at? If any.

I'm making a list of all the problems with the car and I'm trying to get them sorted out. So far I've got the front right wheel wobble, diff clunk and LSD buggered, paintwork has seen better days, front bumper is popping off every now and again, clutch is slipping, and the engine noises.

Its not easy on an apprentice's wage.

But if anyone knows a good dyno tune place near Melbourne, give me a number.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I would also love to know what is involved in a tune. Does it require an aftermarket ECU? or does the guy simply alter the origional one? Will things like 2 hole mod and 2.5in exhaust make much difference? And most important of all, prices???? I'm really not familliar with tuning, so please help me out.

MattMarkey

Matty
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ CALAIS
they re-program the computer..
VCM does it for just under a grand. but yeah, is yours auto or manual? if its auto they cant do it. i don't know why but a guy from VCM told me.
there is a place called powerchipgroup that do piggyback performance chips for your ECU, but word of mouth says they are not very reliable, but heres a link for you to check out yourself..

Powerchip Performance Software Tuning for BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche

And with the 2 hole mod and exhaust, 2 hole mod doesn't really make a difference power-wise, gives it a nice induction noise but thats about it, people reckon it makes it more responsive, bla bla bla, but it doesn't, it may make it a tiny bit betta but not enough to actually feel the difference. yes it would get more cold air getting into the engine but it doesn't actually force more air thru the engine.
exhaust, getting a full system (extractors, high flow cats and pipes) will make a difference. just getting cat back exhaust will basically produce sound, a bit more response from the throttle depending on what size pipes you get, etc. but unless you get the whole system its very minor power difference. the whole point of a exhaust is for betta flow of air exiting the engine, so basis of that you need the entire exhaust not just cat back.
mate you could look around for exhaust, i have redback and i like it, people say x-force do a good system too, for pipes you could get it done for under $500, extractors between $500 and $600 and probly around the same for some high flow cats. so for a fully exhaust system your looking at anywhere from $1500 to $2000.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
VCM can certainly tune auto VZ V6's....

NO a dyno tune will not fix ANY issues or faults on an engine. (it is all about editing the stock fuel air ratios, ignition timing at different throttle openings etc)

If anything it will make the engine work harder and stress more therefore making any pre-existing issues worse. There is no point tuning a worn out motor you will not get any benefits (or very little)... so get the issues fixed first it may be something simple.

The diff is a common problem with VZ's. Also there is no point adding performance to a car with something like a slipping clutch as there goes all your benefits from a fast engine.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Obviously I plan to do the clutch and diff before the engine's power. I just want to get some ideas on what to look for in a good tune.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Remove the torque abuse control (so higher power will be available at slower speeds/rpm) ... this will feel like the car has more lower end power as previously it was limited so people didn't do burnouts etc

Hopefully improve fuel economy and increase ouput.

mdmatt

mdmatt
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 LS1 Auto VZ SSZ 328.6rwhp
Giving my 2 cents...

Extractors on a v6 alloytech are crap. I got it done on my 190kw SVZ ute and expected some power gain of some sort.. it made it sound slightly better but apart from that it was still the same **** v6.. spent $1800 on a full system and it was pathetic.. sold it and got a v8..

I suggest not wasting the money it won't make you any happier unless you get a v8 and as you said you're an apprentice so just wait