Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytech Problem With Getting a Nice Noise.

DESTR0YER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw Alloytech
I drive a vz sv6 with an 190kw alloytech motor and couple of days ago i went and talked to my local mechanic. I showed him the 2.25" twin catback X-Force exhaust i was planing to put on my car and he told me i would be disappointed with the noise it made.

He said that someone else he knew had a lot of trouble trying to get a nice exhaust note with the same car. He said that it was very difficult to get a nice noise because it was an alloytech motor.

I think i can only get an exhaust from the cats back because i am still a P plater and am unable to get extractors.

I was wondering if anyone else knew a good exhaust setup for the vz sv6 that gave it a nice note. I don't really want a power increase just a nice sound because at the moment there is no sound.

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6 with statesman/caprice front end.
I have the xforce twin 2.25 exhaust sounds good to me, and I have heard a twin 2.5 exhaust and it sounded alright too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DESTR0YER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw Alloytech
Do you have any other performance mods such as turbo, extractors or different cats?

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Once you change the cats the sound/note will change and get worse , once you fit extractors the sound/note will get worse too ... Find a second hand gen3 v8 dual 2.25 catback exhaust and get it fitted without the very last muffler/resonator ... That will give you a nice note and nothing horrid like they sound like with changed cats and extractors ... I had that fitted to my vz sv6 when I was on red p's and it didn't drone and I think it sounded quite good and once I had a better cai installed it was even better .... I have changed cats and have put xforce extractors on with the same catback and the note is now horrid

DESTR0YER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw Alloytech
Alright so are you saying that having the twin 2.25" cat back x-force should sound pretty good on an sv6? Even though my mechanic said i would be disappointed with the noise because it is an alloytech?

james90vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i got hpc coated extractors high flow cats and the 2.25 twin xforce cat back and i like the sound of it

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
To most people any modified Alloytec powered exhausts sound crappy. Many such owners will always tell you that they love it - afterall most have just spent heaps of money and would never admit that they were disappointed. Problem with the Alloytec has to do with the firing order of the cylinders.

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6 with statesman/caprice front end.
I have a K&N panel filter that's it, I like the note of mine, each to there own really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DESTR0YER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw Alloytech
i was wondering if possibly just removing the rear muffler would give it a little better noise. I have taken off the last piece of the exhaust (the part with the rear muffler) and given my car a quick run. I reckon it sounded alright but i wasn't sure if a straight through piece at the back would be legal or if it would possibly stuff up the electronic components of the car.

I thought this may have been a cheaper alternative because i only want a bit of noise and fitting a whole exhaust system was going to cost me at least $700.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
V6's sound great with the rear mufflers chopped out.

Said Nobody.

Ever.