Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alpine type X set up

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hit up ASR audio in the sponsors section....ONLY good way to run amps from the stock headunit :)

I totally agree... having done this myself I wouldn't have gone any other way, even with the best Line out convertor you'd still be spending less on the mod from ASR audio.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I have to keep reminding myself ASR does these mods......*slaps head* lol.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
To keep the stock head-unit, and still get decent SQ, you will need a good quality line out converter or processor. They basically convert speaker wires into RCA cables. A few good models off the top of my head are the Cache and Rockford Fostgate 3sixty.

The cache model comes in a 6 channel version (i.e. front, rear and subwoofer) so you effectively run 6 channels of amplifiers to your speakers / sub/s.

The 3sixty has the advantage of a 153 band equalizer, which basically means you have TOTAL control over the sound coming from the head-unit. Probably my choice if going for a SQ setup, but thats my choice.

Holy Crap. You recommend the Rockford 3Sixty? I've only heard good things about them, but also a hefty price tag (cheapest on Ebay is $390 for a 3sixty.2)
HoldenBoy, would it be worth getting this unit with my setup? Can I expect to notice a difference? (soundstream trc.6n with soundstream SST-05)

OP, why do you wan keep your original headunit anyway?

vz05 boar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
its either keep that or put in a touch double din, but im not sure if i want to spent the money on that. maybe

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
its either keep that or put in a touch double din, but im not sure if i want to spent the money on that. maybe

I'd go with an aftermarket headunit, either double din or a single din with a pocket. I always thought the functions and performance would be a lot better from a Aftermarket than a standard with a serperate EQ.

I'm prob most likely wrong, but that's wat I always thought - First thing to do in car audio is change the headunit.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well yeah, i havent had a huge amount of experience with the 3sixty and i havent heard you system Deutscher, so i cant say for sure. I know it has a HEAP of EQ bands and if you spent the time tuning each band i'd say you could make an average sounding system pretty good!

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Holy Crap. You recommend the Rockford 3Sixty? I've only heard good things about them, but also a hefty price tag (cheapest on Ebay is $390 for a 3sixty.2)
HoldenBoy, would it be worth getting this unit with my setup? Can I expect to notice a difference? (soundstream trc.6n with soundstream SST-05)

OP, why do you wan keep your original headunit anyway?

Well there are 3 reasons I kept my stock head unit:

1. It looks stock and it looks part of the car. To me aftermarket looks chatty and doesn't look like it's meant to be there
2. I don't need a CAT converter for my steering wheel controls which could have easily set me back an extra $200
3. I get the same functionality and quality I got from my old Alpine IDA-X200 head unit without it getting stolen :p

vz05 boar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
i have ended up getting the following:
- PDX4.100
-2 X SPX17REF
-IVA502ev
and still to come is either the PDX1.100or1.600 and a 10" or 12"

just a quick question; where should i put the component bit, the crossover or whatever the little box is(the boot next to the amp or closer to the speakers) and also what size cables should i use/do you recommend

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The crossover can either go behind the kick panel or side panel of the dash (theres a cavity there) if you want to hide them. Another option as you suggested is near the amp/s.
It would really depend on the type of install you want to do, and if you want to "show off" the crossovers in the boot install. AFAIK theres no difference in audio when mounting them in the front or rear of the vehicle. The only drawback to mounting them in the boot is you will need to run 2 sets of speaker wiring to the front (1 for the woofer, 1 for the tweeter on each side). If the crossovers are mounted in the front, then only a single run of speaker wiring per side is needed.

What size cables, do you mean power / earth, speaker cables, or both?

Anyway, if youre planning on buying another monoblock amp if would use a single run of 0AWG, then use a distribution block the split the 0AWG into two cables (one for each amp).
As for speaker cables, generally the larger the better, although i personally dont see any point in going larger than 12AWG, 14AWG is suitable for your system too.

Hope this helps.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
IMO you'd get away with running 4 gauge too. 0 gauge is quite thick and difficult to run and also put through the firewall.