Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternative Head Units To The Stock Radio

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Hello. I have a VX Berlina and I am looking around for a high end Head Unit for it. I can only find a few double din units around which all look ugly as sin. Does anybody out there know if any good head units which will work with the Berlina steering wheel controls? I hear only Eurovox and Blakpunt make them.

Anybody got any URL links to sites please post em. I have seen the Sony one which is ugly, the Boss one which i wouldn't touch and the JVC one which is also ugly. I am also looking for one with a CD Stacker controler.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
why not stray away from the double din - opens your choice up quite a bit, can always put a blank face under or above where the stereo is.

Also opens up some options on things to put on that blank face, additional switches etc?

L

lachlanmac23

I agree, put in a single din unit with that plays DVD's and mount a pop out LCD screen. With a 240 -> 12 volt converter you can hook up your playstation, small computer or anything that has video out.

R

Robbie

I had the same drama.. i opted for a single din as i did not see the point in paying for a tape deck as well... DVD player is probably the way to go and mount a seperate screen in the hole... It's really not that expensive

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
QUOTE (bextor84 @ Jan 9 2004, 01:33 AM) why not stray away from the double din - opens your choice up quite a bit, can always put a blank face under or above where the stereo is.

Also opens up some options on things to put on that blank face, additional switches etc?
Yeh I've seen late model commodores with Single din decks and it kinda look s like it's missing something..

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
good spot for the radar detector just tell the cop its stereo lights.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Radar Detector. I thought they didn't work over here in Australia. Where would you want to be purchasing one of these from?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
meh, I'm pretty sure they work here but only on some, don't think it works on cameras etc. And huge fines if you get caught with one.

Just do a search on google, may be places in Australia, if not you could get one from overseas. They'd all work on the same principle.

Konrad

Reaction score
As you said, Blaupunkt have a unit to support the steering wheel controls. I just got a VXII Berlina and opted for a Blaupunkt Orlando. The addon was RRP $70 but the shop threw it in for free. It doesn't work as well as the stock one did - slower to respond. But it's better than not having them.

To fill the extra DIN gap, I got a GME TX4400 CB/Scanner.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah true. These LCD screens I can see on Ebay aer interesting.. Might opt for a fold in screen/ dvd/cd/mp3 combo. Just worried that some of the cheaper dvd's don't have a high output or give the quality that the better head units would. I guess it comes down to how deep your pockets go.