Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

altrernator problems

lebowarrioz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
im also having problems with my alternator does the v6 reg fit on the v8 alternator an is that the only thing that goes wrong with alternators

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
yes there are both re60 regulators

and no, theres heaps more that can go wrong. slip rings worn to far, diodes/rectifier plate burniing out, fields burning out

lebowarrioz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss
i got the new regulator from pinch a part they had a brand new alternator sitting there and the bloke gave me the reg and put mine back in there so got the thing for a bargian but it didnt seem to help at all i found out my actual problem though the alternator seems to be working fine but as soon as i switch the headlights on it drains the battery wierd huh. my battery is brand new my regs are as well. it doesnt struggle at all to run a mono block and a 2 channel amp but not my headlights

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'd just replace the whole alternator.And check the wiring coming out the back of the alternator.The wiring can corrode inside its cover and causes a bad connection,usually the light on the dash will come on though when this happens.

308vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl 308
vl 308 alternator number or amp size

Hi guys i have a vl bt1 its unfortunately but still fortunatey was previsoly owned by a semi pro drag racer and a lot of parts have been frankensteined together iam just going threw all my problems with it and trying to get it back to a street driveable vl and what iam after is the alternator thats on it is only a 45amp and in my short experiance with engines it just sounds to small for a 308 so could anyone tell me if its the write size or is it to small any help would be aprrecaited. oh i do love the car it looks good goes incredablely well but iam bringin it back to street i will put pics up soon Cheers to all

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi 308vl,you should start your own thread.This is someone elses problem that they want help with.Click on "new thread" at the top of the main page to start your own thread about the problems you are having.

mojododo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
hmm thats odd that it can run your stereo fine but not the headlights.

id be leaning towards something faulty in your headlight wiring.