Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp & Sub combo on a budget

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Most ported enclosures are around that size, but some are different shapes which may allow you to place it up against the back seat.......might be worth making a trip to your local car audio store, they should have a few different ported enclosures and you may be able to test fit them in your car.

If youre not after a whole heap of bass, or the most output for your money, then maybe sealed is worth considering? You can get the moulded fibreglass enclosures from places like eBay and you wont loose much of your bootspace at all.
HOLDEN COMMODORE 12'' SUB SUBWOOFER BOX VY VZ LS1 GEN 3 - eBay Subwoofers, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-May-10 21:30:59 AEST)

Do you get the same sound quality out of these moulded figreglass enclosures?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah ive installed one not long ago and it didnt sound too bad at all. You have to remember you will not get the output of a larger ported enclosure, but they do have decent SQ / volume.

Ive heard elsewhere that sometimes the fibreglass can be a little thin in some areas, but this can be easily fixed with some fibreglass matting and resin. That was a while ago now so maybe they're better quality / different seller. The one i got was fine.

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Give me a week or two and I will have LOTS of photos of the install and components. I've got full powerplant selection mate. splits front, 2-ways rear, 1200w 4ch, 12 in sub, 1000w mono. Will post all pics and stuff on they other forum ;)

This is the same system I would have if I stick with Fusion. Look forward to seeing the pics mate.

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
Yeah ive installed one not long ago and it didnt sound too bad at all. You have to remember you will not get the output of a larger ported enclosure, but they do have decent SQ / volume.

Ive heard elsewhere that sometimes the fibreglass can be a little thin in some areas, but this can be easily fixed with some fibreglass matting and resin. That was a while ago now so maybe they're better quality / different seller. The one i got was fine.

That could be an idea then. What amp & sub are you currently running? Got any pics you could post up? Cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I installed one for a customer, not in my own car.

If your not after the most bass you can get for your money then yes, it is a good option for your needs.

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
I installed one for a customer, not in my own car.

If your not after the most bass you can get for your money then yes, it is a good option for your needs.

Oh I see, no worries
I will have a look around at a few moulded enclosures and see If I like the idea

03 VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS
I'm now after some boot installation ideas for my VY. I will be looking at running one 4 channel amp, one mono amp and a 12" sub in a ported enclosure (may consider another enclosure if necessary). I want to save as much room as possible in the boot. Any recommendations and/or pics would be great! Cheers