Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Amp + wiring kit help

Melongeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Crewman VZ 2005
Hey all, I just got myself 4 new speakers and a new amp and just today I bought myself an amp wiring kit that was suggested to me by the retail dudes, I have no experience at what gear I needed, so I had to trust them, but something seems really weird.

Speakers:
PIONEER TS-A1605C 350 WATT 6.5" SPLITS *2
Amp:
PIONEER GM-A6604 400W ---- Some reason is says 400W and not 760 on the product?
The kit that was suggested to me.
BSX208 8ga 2 channel install kit 450w | Aerpro <-just click link

I don't know much about it but if my amp is 760W and this wire has 450W max, does this mean I am not going to get the max performance? Or I got tricked into buying this? Any suggestions?

Thanks a heap!

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Your amp has a 760W maximum output, realistically it will only ever get to about 240W (4 x 60W) nominal.

Each speaker will get around 60W which is around their nominal power so this amp and speakers go perfectly together.

The 8 gauge power kit should be enough to run it without issues since the amp only has a maximum 31 amp draw.

Also don't worry about maximum output watts on speakers and amps, the nominal is what will actually be drawn.

Melongeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Crewman VZ 2005
Hey thanks for the reply dude, I really appreciate it! Time to learn how to wire it all together and get the amp installed! :D Thanks!

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey thanks for the reply dude, I really appreciate it! Time to learn how to wire it all together and get the amp installed! :D Thanks!

No worries mate. Where are you mounting your amp?

I have some pictures in my Crewman thread in my signature below with the amp mounted under my passenger seat. I'm not sure how your amp will fit but its worth a thought.

As for wiring it is fairly straightforward, but post up if you have any issues with it and someone will help you out. No shame in not understanding it first go round.

Melongeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Crewman VZ 2005
Sorry! Been away on a task force for a while and I just go back, started to take my car to bits, taking off all the panels. (First time doing all this! I hope I don't break ****.)
I am going to mount the amp under the passenger seat, though I need to make a small mounting bracket because there is a small drop off behind the seat.

Sure, send me your pictures! I would love suggestions! :)

I have one very newbie question, connecting 4 speakers (Front and back) Would I need 1 pair of RCAs or 2 pair of RCA's? (4 total) Everyone told me I only need 1 pair, front and back. Silly of me to ask, but I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
This is what I did in my sedan,

vs4NcBk.jpg

bH1Z5SV.jpg

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry! Been away on a task force for a while and I just go back, started to take my car to bits, taking off all the panels. (First time doing all this! I hope I don't break ****.)
I am going to mount the amp under the passenger seat, though I need to make a small mounting bracket because there is a small drop off behind the seat.

Sure, send me your pictures! I would love suggestions! :)

I have one very newbie question, connecting 4 speakers (Front and back) Would I need 1 pair of RCAs or 2 pair of RCA's? (4 total) Everyone told me I only need 1 pair, front and back. Silly of me to ask, but I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

Amp under the passenger seat is a great spot in the Commodores.

Although my amp is a bit smaller than your amp is, it fitted beautifully under the passenger seat. and Nic's picture above shows that almost any amp will fit.
You will need one RCA per speaker, so if you are doing fronts only then you will need 2 plugs on each end if you are doing front and rear (4 speakers) you will need 4 plugs on each end of your cables.

jmaDH8lZSAj3m.JPG

igMs3VguU4IZ5.JPG

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Amp under the passenger seat is a great spot in the Commodores.

I'd disagree (slightly) with this. Only because I'd be scared someone would kick them, or lower the seat down and crush it. Mounted at the back of the boot behind the rear seats has always been popular - and it allows better airflow (cooler amps run better!!)

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd disagree (slightly) with this. Only because I'd be scared someone would kick them, or lower the seat down and crush it. Mounted at the back of the boot behind the rear seats has always been popular - and it allows better airflow (cooler amps run better!!)

Most VT-VZ Commodores don't have electrically adjusted passenger seats so chance of it being dropped down in these cars is non-existant. My amp was smaller than a ream of paper and sat just behind the adjustment handle at the front so being kicked was such a small chance as even with the seat all the way forward, there was no amp visable from the rear. The air flow in the boot would not be very good either and the air conditioning would have zero flow to the boot, meaning that the amp would often run hotter in summer.

Although the boot works well for a lot of installs, myself and the OP were installing in Crewmans, not sedans. This makes it impossible to install in the boot.

Melongeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Crewman VZ 2005
Hey guys, just an update!
I had a look at the idea with the wooden block but it didn't really sit right in the Crewman, so I changed it up a bit!
I finally got my amp installed, I have learnt a LOT of new things, some stupid dealer told me I only needed 1 pair of RCA cords to install 4 speakers, so I did that, now I was told I need another pair, so I had to install them too, I managed to run cords around my dash and whatnot! I may have broken some of the plastic pins... Will buy more plastic parts. :p

I got my amp installed, I wasn't really confident in screwing an amp into the floor so I made up a bracket mount that attaches to the two front bolts of the chair. I'll show in pictures below! But I am slowly moving forward with this, next task is to install the speakers! Which I think would be the hardest part! Thanks for helping out guys!
I'll get some pictures up soon!