Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying rubbing noise coming from rear

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
My car has an annoying rubbing sounds which is proportional to the speed of the car so there's something touching the wheels when they're turning. I've had my discs machined but it's still doing it, the sound is there always even when my foot is on the brake or off it, sometimes it's really loud. Could it be the rims rubbing? I've heard this sound on other commodores. The car's a VX S Pack commodore completely stock with VX SS rims. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Is it a higher pitch metalic rubbing sound or a lower plastic rubbing sound??

Is the the lowered at all?

Jack the car up and spin the wheels to see if if makes any rubbing noise then...

Keep us posted

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I think it's more metal than a plastic sound, its like a light grind of sorts. It's weird because sometimes it's very loud and other times I can't hear it at all, it comes and goes. The car is standard height FE2. Touching the brakes makes no difference to the noise so I'm guessing it's not disc related? And once it was on the hoist and I spun both wheels and there were no sounds it seems to only do it sometimes. Any ideas?

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
My l/H hand brake shoe drags sometimes. I have had it off and other than a little more wear, I can't see anything amiss. I find reversing and applying the hand brake to stop, then releasing it and driving off stops the noise. I just don't use the handbrake anymore.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hmmm....

Handbrake shoes would be a point of interest for me... maybe a loose shoe or something... not sure...

I just recently had a metallic sound that make and went on my 318i and it ended up being the metal dust cover behind the rotor was bent and touching the disc abit...

No idea how this sound managed to come and go though since it was metal touching metal but it somehow did so have a look at those...

Other than that... i would be checking the clearances between your exhaust pipe and the axle from the diff... maybe something has slipped there or when the car leans a certain way soemthing catches....

Wheel hub bearings... thogh that would be a more constant grinding sound and you would have picked up on that spinning the wheels on a hoist.

Finally... i would be looking @ the diff...?

Dunno mate... this is probably one of those things what would be easier to diagnose in person than over the net...lol

Good luck with it though mate!

Keep us posted

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah I'll just need to have a better look at it when it's on the hoist again. Thanks for the help anyway.

vsvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim & VS Exec
My VX does EXACTLY the same thing and i thought i was going crazy. Sounds just like a dragging brake, only my pads are all perfect and nothing appears to be dragging. Even my mechanic thinks it will take some elimination to find it. Only did it when i changed the wheels and had it lowered.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I'd be looking at the diff. If it's a whining noise that's fairly constant and increases in pitch or sound with speed, it could be a number of things but VXs seem to have noisy diff problems a fair bit. Get a workshop to have a look or ask a mechanic to go for a drive with you.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
The noise isn't whiny, it's more like a grinding/rubbing sound as though there's something protruding the wheel and touching the chassis because the sound changes with speed, it's not constant, it's frequency increases with speed.