Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying rubbing noise coming from rear

brianthegod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S
I get a similar sound on my VY II S..I am going to put it in for a service...I thought I was going crazy aswell, as the sound really bugs me!!

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
My VX SS has a noise which I think is in the diff, it is at its loudest at 50 clicks and goes away at 65 plus, it is not the usual diff whine but more a bearing noise. The radio up slightly fixes it ;-)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
maybe the backing plate behind the disc is bent and rubbing . Had this problem on my daughters old Pulsar on the front . changed the pads and somehow bent it .

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Nope still haven't solved the problem. I'll probably get it looked at next time I get a wheel alignment done, it's annoying as hell.

teastpilot

testpilot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK vacationer / VP berlina
checking it up on the hoist is a great start but wont help you if its not bearings or basic brakes etc. when its up that unsprung weight is way off the point where it normally operates and makes the noise, is the noise from the front? or rear? on your fronts are your inner guards/mudflaps still secure and in place. on the rears are there any brake lines closer than they should be to the tyre. does it make the sound thru any turns or constantly turn or straight.

off topic, but interesting, an old foreman used to test the new apprentices with a zip tie on the tailshaft.

best bet is to look all round the tyres on a two poster where ya can check the tyres for nails / screws etc. then check it for clearances of stuff on the ground or a 4 poster hoist where the cars suspension is at the normal height its making the noise. Then failing that, removing each disc and caliper and checking for trapped bits of bitumen behind pads / discs. also might be a disc pad backing plate not goo'd up.

a lot of idea's to help ya look but as mentioned these noises can be problematic to find sometimes. good luck.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
rubbing sound in the back ?? You sure its not your mate still in the back from Friday night ? :)

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
Rubbing noise VX II 3.8 S/C

Recently (6 months ago) I noticed that rubbing sound from the rear of my car too. Firstly when I turned left into my driveway each evening when I got home from work, then I noticed it started on the right when I turned right, now its pretty much whenever I turn at low speed. I reckon it is the LSD, cos it started to get a nice to it over the last couple of months. If I am travelling at 100k, it sings for me now, like metal shims spinning against each other, maybe LSD clutch noise? Its got plenty of oil, guess I am up for a costly repair. Anyone had anything further than this?

Herakles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 3.8 V6 S/C
I had diff bearings done and replaced the oil, after a couple of days, the rubbing sound stopped, man who fixed the diff said that it would stop after a few km now that it had new oil.