Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another computer question

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
thanks for that but i've already tried that one about ten times.

what i have found is if i test the sound through directx9 it works but if you try anything else it is either "no audio or your hardware can't play sounds"
is it possible directx is causing the problem?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
This is interesting.. hmmm.. I'll tell you a few things you could try

Goto Start -> Run -> type in "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks) > go to the sound tab and see if hardware acceleration level is set to full

Also try:

Start (or My Computer) -> Control Panel (classic view) -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio Tab and then try changing the default device for Sound playback if there's any other options

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
no other options to change the default
the default is the one installed

hardware acceleration on dxdiag sound1 and sound 2 is set to full

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
This is indeed baffling.. what programs do you get the sound error in? Anything in specific or everything you try?

Try booting into safe mode (keep pressing F8 just before the windows logo when you turn the PC on) and when you're there completely remove the drivers (right click on the device in device manager and click "uninstall", then go to action (at the top) and click on scan for hardware changes, then point the thing to the drivers you downloaded..

Then reboot and let us know how you went

Reaction score
Members Ride
how long since it has stopped working??? (within the last week or so). if so you could do a system restore

Start---> All Programs ---> Accessories ---> System Tools ---> System Restore.

Then select "Restore my computer to an earlier time"
Then select a Bold Date around the time that the sound was working.

NOTE:
System Restore will take the system back to the date that was selected, meaning any programs that were installed after the date selected will not work afterwards / or will disappear. System Restore will not delete documents only programs that have been installed after that date. Another important note is not to go back too far, just a week or so. ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE DOING A SYSTEM RESTORE.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
it stopped working quite a while ago
it started where it would play some things like cds and some programs then it all stopped.
it hasn't really bothered me all that much until now.

i have tried system restore already i'll try booting in safe mode

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
It could also be that Windows has crapped itself, this seems to happen sometimes, I've seen Windows installs last for years, mine on the other hand seem to break within 3 months (too many customisations, trying different things, like the fresh performance of a new Windows install).. if you can't get it sorted after exhausting everything we can throw at you, you might want to consider the ol' reinstall

Reaction score
Members Ride
try running the system file checker. this will check the windows files against the windows files on your windows cd and will repair any files that may have changed / corrupted up.

to do this click
Start --> Run --> Type in 'sfc /scannow' --> Press 'Enter'

you may have to have windows cd in the drive while it runs.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
holdensupporter2005 said:
try running the system file checker. this will check the windows files against the windows files on your windows cd and will repair any files that may have changed / corrupted up.

to do this click
Start --> Run --> Type in 'sfc /scannow' --> Press 'Enter'

you may have to have windows cd in the drive while it runs.

If you want to do this just be sure your copy of Windows is genuine, some dodgy copies rely on files being edited (specificly winlogon hooking a DLL in MCE2005), and windows will pick this up and prompt you to replace the files with the original one, killing Windows