Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another diff question?

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
Hi guy's will a vz ss diff bolt strait up into a vz sv6? My diff has started clunking when roling in reverse and when you accelorate after coasting down a hill, it's like gear's are loose or need re shimimg or something.

Anyways i did read somewhere that the yoak's are a different size, could someone please confirm? I just dont wanna waist my money buying it only to find it's not gonna fit.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Pretty sure the v6 and v8 are different in size. Just get yours rebuilt.

delfin82

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s1/ vz berlina
They both the same 100% including the yoke, bolt straight up ,only difference is the gear ratio could be 3.45 on vz ss and lsd while your's 3.07 or 3.08 if it is 4 speed auto.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The difference in size is internal.
Externally they are the same and will interchange (VT2-VZ) as long as both diffs have the same pinion yoke fitted (early VT's still had uni joints and later diffs have the doughnut).
The V6 uses a M78 hemisphere (7.8" diameter crown wheel) and the V8 uses an M80 (8").
Besides the tag you can determine which is which by the ratio, some of which are shown below.
M78 has 2.87, 3.08, 3.45, 3.7 and 3.9
M80 uses 3.07, 3.46, 3.73 and 3.91.

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
The difference in size is internal.
Externally they are the same and will interchange (VT2-VZ) as long as both diffs have the same pinion yoke fitted (early VT's still had uni joints and later diffs have the doughnut).
The V6 uses a M78 hemisphere (7.8" diameter crown wheel) and the V8 uses an M80 (8").
Besides the tag you can determine which is which by the ratio, some of which are shown below.
M78 has 2.87, 3.08, 3.45, 3.7 and 3.9
M80 uses 3.07, 3.46, 3.73 and 3.91.

Cheers mate so the yokes should be the same being both from a vz? Not sure what gear ratio is as waiting on the bloke to message me back. It's just a stock vz ss diff. What is a good price? It's done 120,000k guy's asking $400 for it. I plan on rebuilding mine while it's out then putting it back in.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
your better off sending the SS one out for a freshin up before you throw it on

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
I don't know if i'm going to keep the ss gear ratio tho. The gear ratio only changes the rpm to speed doesn't it? I have an auto 5 speed.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
you can get the speedo recalibrated and ss diff will have LSD (unsure about yours) but its way better than a single spinner

Ricksta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 impulse blue
I already have lsd in mine. What's the advantages of having different gear ratio? Quicker acceleration or more top speed? The diff is out of an auto vz ss

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
It will only have 3.08 gears, will offer slightly better acceleration and reduce top speed