Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Exhaust Thread

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've mentioned this before in relation to exhaust note and Lukey were the "note masters" with their muffler designs. Redback and Manta use Lukey designs and always sound good! It only amounts to using the right type of perforated tube and fibreglass packing to get a great note, it's not rocket science at all, yet most aftermarket exhaust suppliers tend to sadly stuff it up deviating from the old Lukey "note master" design.

I've fabricated exhausts for 44 years and the last 27 years primarily race car exhausts, so I've got the gear to easily chop and change things for my own cars. I messed around with a 340 Maloo midpipe, made a "proper" X-pipe and knocked up a couple of resonators to replace the hot dogs, cut the bimodals open and changed the design over a couple of weekends but cost wise, I'd have to charge 3.5k for a job like that to make it viable, way more than most can pay for an exhaust. Custom exhaust stuff is massively time consuming and costs money to get that perfect job and note if you're not equipped to do it yourself unfortunately.

It took me all day to cut the tailpipes and get the bimodals centred in the bumper cut outs correctly, they hang too low on a ute. I'd have to charge about $800 to do that as viable retail job otherwise mechanically, you'd make more money changing oil and brake pads.

View attachment 229281
Im happy to pay a premium for what I want, especially if I can get it local

It makes later modifications simple as well

I can justify it because it's performance and exhaust sound, well, mainly exhaust sound, LOL, but I'm happy to drop good coin on the right modifications for my application

Why have a "performance" street car that is obnoxiously loud when just cruising, or sounds like thongs slapping, or has enough drone to break your balls on the Hwy, or, after spending good coin on a bolt on, it doesn't give the sound you want

I always recommend spending coin on local businesses wherever possible

P.S. I like your shed, the coating on the floor looks well tidy

DrewPeacock76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF II SSV Redline
First. If there are mufflers or big resonators in the mid pipe swap them for resonators, or shorter resonators

See how that sounds

Then, if required. At the rear swap the big mufflers for smaller straight thru mufflers

I've always been a fan of getting an exhaust built at an exhaust shop

Once good engineering principles has the header and front/mid pipe sorted, you can test and adjust rear mufflers prior to welding it all up and driving out the door

You can get a twin 2.5" sounding good, you just need to use the right quality parts

I've never been a fan of 90% of "bolt on" exhausts, especially when the ability to support your local exhaust shop keeps the dollars in your own community

It does have medium size resonators in the mid pipe section.

Wondering what straight thru mufflers would bolt onto the X-Force system???? Any ideas?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
It does have medium size resonators in the mid pipe section.

Wondering what straight thru mufflers would bolt onto the X-Force system???? Any ideas?
Your not going to get any "bolt on" options

Take your car to your local performance exhaust shop, if you've got one local, if not then travel to find one, tell them what you want sound wise, then ask what they would fit and get a quote

This is the problem with "bolt on" exhausts like X-Force, you can spend alot of coin and "not" get the sound your after

Whereas a "good" local performance exhaust joint can build one to suit your performance and earballs requirements

Mass produced bolt on exhausts will always be a compromise, to big, to small, to loud, to quite, to low, poor fitment, poor quality

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Mass produced bolt on exhausts will always be a compromise, to big, to small, to loud, to quite, to low, poor fitment, poor quality
Yep, where profit margins are involved, the cheaper something can be produced for example using a poor quality sound deadening material in a muffler and not packing it properly to use less material, results in a lousy note or too loud and droney etc. They sell well and plenty accept the compromise, so why waste money or reduce their profit margin to make it better is the likely mentality.

Trofius

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline sportwagon
Opinions, Vf SS wags, planning on OTR, and cam......posibility of head and blower down the track

I was thinking for the interim, to get pacemaker headers 17/8 200cell cats, into a 2.5mid section DPE or BLACK OPS custom and retain the stock rear bimodal mufflers.

Good idea or not? suggestions? I want deep, not loud, happy to go with mild steel as I think it has more life to the sound, stainles can sound a bit raspy