Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another fuel pump question

RATBOX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
having a fuel pump issue but not sure if it's the fuel pump or wiring or relay or something else, it's an intermittent problem car has just stopped while driving twice and no fuel pump when going to start twice but all times without doing anything it has come good and been fine for a few days then problem happens again, for a while after the first times when it just stopped while driving the pump became very noisey, anyway first thing i'm going to try is the external pump which i believe is a bosch 044, the prices for these varies wildly some on ebay advertised as genuine bosch and showing the bosch packaging in add for around $95 posted through to one at supercheap in the mid $400 range and quite a few in the $250 range, has anybody used the ebay ones and are they actually genuine or do you think i should look somewhere else besides fuel pump
thanks

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've had engine cut outs that fixed themselves unaided caused by a defective coil. Problem would suddenly occur after an hour or so 110+ kmh on the Hume. Replaced the coil with another located on the firewall well away from engine heat. Problem has not recurred in over 5 years.
Bosch 044 prices are all over the place because they have been superseded- some are at superseded stock prices. I have a Bosch pump on another car and in my experience you have to mount them low with minimum restrictions in the suction pipeline. Bosch pumps are pretty crappy at sucking up fuel, but good on the delivery side.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
As a matter of interest what would people recommend for a replacement for the outside of tank pump for a stock style 2 pump set up if one wants to keep 2 pump set up as per factory?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
2 is usually needed with an external pump if its above the tank height or dosnt self prime, internal pump is only there to feed the external and dosnt affect flow at all, a single main in tank pump would be fine, just dont go too much on the flow as the stock regulator cant always handle returning too much fuel some times and that affects fuel pressure which throws out fueling

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Interesting, so if they fail go with a single in tank one.

As I've mentioned elsewhere I've owned the car since 1994 and at the time the sales myth was that they ran 2 pumps so 1 primed for perfect starting :D. I kmow now reading the schematics they are both wired to prime simultaneously but nothing like a little folklore. Anyway around 10 years later I could hear the external pump buzzing under back seat then nothing.........still ran okay with only 1 pump going so not feeling like an under car job took it to Hunter Holden who replaced both. Was also told that not all V8s came out with 2 pumps, don’t know if it was because mine was a SS or because it was an August 91 car, a VP update that it included some SV /HSV items like the larger Bosch fuel pressure regulator with the thicker base......was also included on my car. On speaking to Bosch about 10 years ago during the mild resto they told me the recommended fitment for the regulator on my car as well as SV and HSV cars is the non thicker base regulator.......the thicker base regulator was no longer available however I have seen on ebay these larger style regulators

So never properly saw the significance of the 2 pumps.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you run only one pump make sure it has good suction characteristics or fit it well below the fuel level, inside or outside the tank.

The suction booster pump only has to run in parallel with the main pump, there's no reason to start it before the main pump.

I've run a Bosch main pump with a Carter booster pump in my TR6 for over 30 years with no problems. Other blokes with TR6's fitted with only Bosch pumps have heaps of problems, especially on hot days.