Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another oil question...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Scooter79 said:
Hopefully it will hold it's value if I treat it well and have the receipts to prove it.

Yeah mate look after her well...you've definately got one of the nicer ones... most on the market are up around 200,000 km...it would be a shame if yours ever gets written off...:ranting:

Did you get the original wheels with it aswell ?... If my memory serves me right yours has walkinshaw mags...:unsure:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
sixshooter said:
Did you get the original wheels with it aswell ?... If my memory serves me right yours has walkinshaw mags...:unsure:

I dont know if they're the original mags but they are definately HSV or something like that. They have the black lion logo on the centre cap. They were advertised as 17" wheels but they're actually 16".

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I've decided to go for the Mobil1 10w/30. Most will say this is too thin but the engine is only 100,000k's old and in excellent condition, and most oil manufacturers guides recommend a 10w/30 for a standard VS ecotec through to the VT XU6 supercharged engine which is the same engine as mine. My reason behind this choice is that when the car was made nearly 10 years ago, oils had an API of SG or SH which the logbook reccomends. But now SG and SH are obsolete and are now up to API SM. SM is meant to have much better engine protection qualities than SG, SH, or even SJ and SL. I'm still open to suggestions and opinions if someone wants to correct me.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
oils

Most synthetics are pretty good and you don't sound like a driver who will work the oil too hard.
As a turbo owner, I found Penrite and Motul left a gold residue on the cams which worried me so I'm now using Shell or Mobil. I vowed never to use Castrol again as it glazed every engine I've had it in.
I change oil at 3000-5000K's and do a filter at 2000-2500. Filters are really cheap and keep your oil in top condition.
Many owners don't realise how quickly filters block and then run on by-pass so the engine still has oil pressure, but it's running on unfiltered oil. This is particularly important if you're changing brands of oil due to the different detergents.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
grigor said:
I change oil at 3000-5000K's and do a filter at 2000-2500. Filters are really cheap and keep your oil in top condition.
Many owners don't realise how quickly filters block and then run on by-pass so the engine still has oil pressure, but it's running on unfiltered oil. This is particularly important if you're changing brands of oil due to the different detergents.

I'll probably be doing that too. The stuff that was in the car was full mineral oil, so i'll make sure I change the filter. The car had never ever been fitted with a towbar which is a good sign it's been looked after, and I don't intend on fitting one. I'm hoing to get many many years out of this car.