Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another overheating vs

sumpie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi all my beloved vs overheated, so i changed the thermostat and flushed the radiator and block out, new coolant.
thought i had sorted it then going up a long hill the temp started to creep up? caught it in time.
the hose to the thermostat was solid ( pressurised) and xxxkin hot, thought it was the fan put a/c on fan worked at the second attempt.
tried to short the fan out with a bit of wire fan started to turn but did not get to any sort of speed. Could it be the FAN or the HI/LOW speed relays, or dodgy thermostat/ temperature switch.
Any ideas before i start spending ta jason.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If the fan 'started to to turn but did not get to any sort of speed' then it's possible the fan bearings are shot - try hotwiring straight to the motor and see if it runs proper.
You should also be able to remove the connection to the temperature sensor (the one with 2 wires) - the fans should start after a delay....first on LO then switching to HI. (engine running)

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
The fans dont run above 40 -50 km/h so it might be wise to check else were!!! not ruling out the fans as well, but this is of course if the temp rises at idle. how high on the gauge did the reading go to? could be a incorrect dash, very common

b and my vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Excecutive 3.8l v6
Hi,
when i got my commy the previous owner said to me that when the tempt gauge starts to rise at all put the air con on hot and full bore it...this makes it go back down but driving through the day I have to do this more than once....I dont know if its gonna over heat or got something to do with fan...Im to scared to let gauge go up I dont know what will happen....does anyone have any ideas why it does this or how to fix it etc??

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Heres how to test the cooling fan on a VSV6.Just disconnect the temperature sensor wiring from the temp sensor on the engine. ( theres 2 sensors,ones for the temp gauge,this has a single wire,the other is the ECU temp sensor,this has multiple wires and this is the one you want to disconnect.)Once its disconnected,start the engine.The fan should come on to low speed approximately 12 seconds after the engine is started.After a further 6 seconds, the fan should go to high speed.If your cooling fan is doing this,the cooling fan and its system are working ok.If it does not come on at all.Check the low fan relay under the bonnet near the fuses.Its one of the smaller type relays.Just swap it for the LP CHK relay and then try the fan test again.Ive seen a lot of these relays overheat and fail.If you look at the relay very closely,the middle pin can get hot and melts the plastic around the base of the pin.This is a sure sign of a stuffed relay.

b and my vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Excecutive 3.8l v6
thanx heaps for help will definitly get a male to read that and try it and see if thats what it is....:) oh would love to fix it as it is not a good look as im trying to sell my car and couldnt explain why it does that....so thank u will let you know how it goes

executer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V 2015
sounds like your car has electrolysys. put an earth strap from the motor to the chassy