Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VE Exhaust Thread

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi Stuart.

I have a full twin 3" systemon my ute , with intake and tune which was on when I bought the car. Pacemaker extractors into twin 3" pipes with Hurricane mufflers. It screams when you really get into it but is otherwise quiet, the gf and dogs often don't hear me pulling into the driveway and it doesn't drone. I have a manual though so an auto may sound a bit differentt or sit at different rpm. It's not something you hear more than 20m away, unlike some guys who think it's cool being audible two blocks over.

It is raspy rather than very deep if that makes sense. I YouTube vids every so often but as Abba can attest to the cameras never pick up LS exhaust sound properly unless you have a pro setup.

Cheers

I used to want mine louder and deeper but then a neighbour got a loud setup and it just pissed me off, I love mine now, cops never hear it either.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Just to add to the confusion, I have gone down the pathway that NAAF often talks about; which is trying all sorts of combinations on the car, before finally buying a full set up. All tested with my trusty butt dyno

First I put on a set of hsv try y's. They increased the torque and feel of the car marginally, but did not make a huge difference to the note.

Next I added hsv bimodels that run off the low pressure in the plenum and plumbed them in with air lines, these worked great for quiet and gave a decent note when the loud pedal was punched, down side was they didn't sound old school enough for me.

Next a set of difilippo 2.5 cat back came up on trademe for a great price, so I grabbed those and fitted them. Butt dyno said the torque improved quite significantly over the 2 1/4 pipes and she started to sound like a v8. My friend said it was like the difference between decaf and proper coffee. They did give a slight drone under 1500 revs, but lovely and quiet at cruising speeds.

Next step was a pair of 1 7/8 4 - 1 difilippo headers came up at a good price so I grabbed them and had to buy cats at full price which is horrendous in Nz. I have fitted all this up. The difference is amazing, she cruises quietly at all speeds without drone, sounds super tough at idle (sounds like a fast paced heart beat at the lights) and if I give her a footfull you can hear her two streets away, each day is like getting into a race car.

The moral of the story is as NAAF says, you can go and buy sections of exhaust and keep chopping and changing only to find a full system will sound better, go better and be cheaper in the long term.

Only other point I would touch on, is the long tube headers give a far better driving experience as you use more of the rev curve without the engine sounding like it's straining under load.

This was on a v6?

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Did you ask the guys at c and a if they could do a bimodal set up on your wagon? If you can do that with the 2.5 catback and hsv headers and cats you will get the quite on start up and it will only get louder when you open it up, if they have a spare vaccum operated bi modal, get them to fit to a difillipo catback?

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Xplaya

Lol u trolling?

He states it's finally starting so sound like an 8, sounds like a racecar, and profile sayss he owns an SSV...

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Xplaya

Lol u trolling?

He states it's finally starting so sound like an 8, sounds like a racecar, and profile sayss he owns an SSV...

Lol damn i skim read that part, and the "sound like a v8" part stood out lol . I noticed the SSV profile part to so thought he may be talking from previous experience lol

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
06 l98 ss, stock they are so quiet you wouldn't even know it was an 8. They don't have that staccato sound like an old school v8.

With a full system that has an H or X pipe or the small hole the difilippo has, you get a nice v8 note.

I did have a Nz ve gtr (basically an sv6 with a ssv interior) which had a v6, they were dropping in value so fast that I switched to the SS, best move I made.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
Has anyone got a photo or diagram of the Bi-modal set up that's been retro fitted, id like to see how its done before I go ahead and attempt it

On the early l98's they had a break off tab at the back of the intake manifold. You can attach about 8 metres of fuel line from the manifold to the rear cans and they work off that. I ran the lines down the back of the engine and then on top of the aluminium heat guards under the car to the back.

At start up the vacuum closes the flaps and keeps it quiet, they open up at about 2500 revs, so you really only hear the note when your on your way

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Asked aquestionn exhaust question

Left

How many people do this on this forum? I've seen a bunch and I've only been around a year.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
I'd say there is a core group of guys for each section relevant to the car they own who answer most of the questions. Then there is a larger group who are "long time readers and first time posters"

At the end of the day each person adds to the knowledge base I guess

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Having a speak with them, they thought that a good option for me would be to get the OTR and tune along with some HSV headers and cats that they remove from stock HSV's when upgrading them. This would be quite a cheap alternative (all up under 2k). Will keep my current catback so not any extra noise. However, they guess i will only get to about 240rwkw. Not quite the 260-280rwkw i would like, but seems like a decent compromise.

However, the guys are C and A Autofashion didn't think there would be any benefit in anything better than HSV headers/cats, so i may have to find another shop if i want to go down this route. Not sure if they will spend the time getting the maximum out of a tune if they don't believe it would work in the first place.

Get the VF 340 HSV headers as they are the best factory headers.