Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anti Virus Software Recommendations

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Have only ever used AVG Free edition and will say you may as well run the computer without AV as it was next to useless not to mention also a bit of a resource hog on slower machines.

I don't agree either, AVG has won heaps of awards the proof is here http://www.grisoft.com/doc/76/us/crp/0

also AVG is one of the smallest Antivirus scanners in terms of the amount of resources that it uses. Nortons is one of the biggest resource hogging Antivirus software around.

Also check out this article http://www.grisoft.com/doc/39275/us/crp/6

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
AVG Anit-Virus (Auto Update), AVG Spyware (doesn't auto update but my dad has the exact same and that auto updates?) Spybot (No auto update) and Ad-Aware (No auto update). These are all programs that I use. Oh and Winpatrol (No updates, just upgrading versions) too. I haven't had any trouble with any and with regular checking/scanning you shouldm't have a prob. All these are the free versions and work fine.

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Yeah,I actually run McAfee which has served me well for about ten years as opposed to Nortons that I found did not play well with other software and constantly locked things up.But with the latest incarnation of McAfee I've started having problems,there's one particular part of it that hogged 99% of system resources,made my usually fast laptop work like a steam powered hamster (or a four banger Ford with a cylinder down :D ).I'm with the majority here,AVG is a good program,a friend of my'n has it and she's far from computer literate,but it does it's job well with minimal input or worries for her.

SlipStream

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina sII - V6
weedo_86, mate if u know how to use torrents, download VET anti-virus by CA i have used it for years, and can't complain 1 bit mate.

Hope it helps ya.

Latest Vet-Anti Virus, come with
*Anti-Virus
*Spyware software
*CA Isafe for you emails
*Personal firewall

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
AV is one of those things where you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers. A bit like are you a Holden man or are you a ford man, are you a seagate person or are you a wd person, the list could easily go on.

My personal experiences both personal and professional is the average computer user (mum and dad combo) will generally make AVG useless with just web sites they visit, the amount of times I have heard I have run a full scan, it's all up to date and finds nothing, sure enough try ourselves to find nothing, run NOD32 or Avast over it and the system is riddled with nasties AVG has failed to pickup. The last time I used AVG would have been a good 12 months or so ago, I doubt much has changed.

Pointing to awards as far as I'm concerned means absolutely nothing, the same could be said for NOD32 which have awards listed on their site
http://www.eset.com/company/awards.php does it mean anything? No. I believe with my own eye's not someone else's.

Take a look at the picture attached, I don't believe everything I read but certainly backs up how I feel about AVG.

For me I run NOD32, Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware and can honestly say I have had once or twice using all of the above that I have had to format my drive through some kind of infection and not been able to fix the problem.

Attachments

• Missed-In-the-Wild-Viruses.jpg
    Missed-In-the-Wild-Viruses.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 93

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
Im not a fan of any free anti-virus software. Why would they produce free anti virus software that works as good as one you have to pay for. JUst don't make sense.

For me I use NOD32 at work and home I used Vet by CA. Both of these work great and nail any sort of virus that come your way be email, web browsing and down loading. Niether of these are heavy on your system.
As for spyware Vet no comes as a complete package virus/spam/spyware etc.

Here's a link to some reviews, have a look and go from there.
http://antivirus-software.6starreview.com/?Refer=GoRE&Keyword=Bantivirusreviews
http://anti-virus-software-review.t...irus+reviews&gclid=CO7SseOB-4sCFRhtYAod-Sc4ZA

And on Norton's, Dell might give you it free with the computer that you buy, but they run NOD32 on their systems.

Last edited:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I personally like AVG, although there are others that are good too, like NOD32. But please, just whatever the hell you do, please please please, stay the Hell away from ANYTHING with the name "Norton" on it. To me the word "Norton" is more of a warning label than a name, really.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
lol @ AVG, thats spyware in itself. With winho you will never get a true virus protection/spyware protection etc. Best bet is to run a flavor of linux then you wont have these issues. Plus you can configure your system to be as secure or as un-secure as you please, plus you can always use VMware to use winho stuff.

As for when i use windows, i use NO spyware or virus protection. I dont see the point. My router protects me from outside attacks, my gateway filters everything else. Adding more crap to an already bloated system is pointless.