Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Builders or Plasterers on here know about Villaboard ?

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
. The problem is 3 walls have timber frames and the 4th wall is brick on the bottom half, timber on the top half. 1 sheet of villaboard needs to be fastened to the bricks and 1 sheel to the timber.

How can i attach the bottom sheet to the brick wall ? To make life interesting, the shower happens to be in the corner with bricks on one side and timber on the other.
:hmmm:!

is it possible to run timber battens along the wall to fix the villaboard to?

Liquid nails? Then tile the lot. Don't forget the right angled piece of **** that i can't remember for the life of me, the name of, that goes around the bottom of the walls and under the flooring tiles. You can see I'm not a builder. That's what I did and it was all good.

did you get this **** from bunnings?
would have been interesting when you asked for it
they don't know half the time what you want even if you know the correct terminology for it

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
is it possible to run timber battens along the wall to fix the villaboard to?

did you get this **** from bunnings?
would have been interesting when you asked for it
they don't know half the time what you want even if you know the correct terminology for it

Hehe.. You think I could get a job there as a consultant? Doesn't seem that long ago but it was in '93 I think, sold the house in '95. Twenty years flies by after the fact. Do you think it's all fallen down by now?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Im a plasterer by trade , id be in some way lining the wall with the bricks with battens as the villa board wont be adhering the wall with just liquid nails properly and the wall may be out so you need to get it level . And it probably wouldn't be too water proof ether doing it that way

make you you put a metal angle behind the villaboard too , and to wet area seal the membrane/recess and the use that wet area sillicon on the bottom of the board where it meets the shower base

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
The other option is to use a water rated plaster board sheet (CSRs AquaChek or Borals Waterboard) and use masonry adhesive to stick it to the brick. I'd highly advise against sticking villaboard to the brick as its a compressed multi layered laminated sheet and if for some reason it deteriorates the sheet will delaminate and the face could separate and come off leaving the back stuck to the brick.

Trayner has the best idea though. Batten it out so you don't have to compromise on board type and fixing points. We always nail the middles every 200mm where tiles are stuck too.

As mentioned, ones stuck apply waterproofing membrane as usual.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Just a fact for funzies... I've seen villaboard stuck to steel with stud adhesive on a multi million dollar government building where EVERYTHING was supposed to be of the highest quality. I laughed at the chippies who did it. I'd really like to know if it's still standing lol.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks for all the replies.
A few people say battens, and i think that is technically the correct thing to do. I'm curious though, suppose the bricks are level, why i couldn't just lean the sheet against the wall, drill about 30 pilot holes through the sheet to make marks on the brick, then remove the sheet and drill holes into brick and insert wall plugs/spaghetti , then reposition the sheet against the bricks and screw it straight to the wall ? Maybe some Sikaflex 11FC on the bricks too ... It's probably just as much trouble as adding battens, but i want to avoid losing the 30mm floor space as well as other issues with plumbing that would have to be spaced out 30mm as well. If i went with battens would i just anchor them to the bricks?
I can post a photo if you want