Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any DJ's out there?

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
The S4 was and is the only DJ equipment I have used. Very easy to pick up and get going with. Check out my mixes for a noob effort. Only been at it since March and really only made about 10 or so mixes in that time.

BUT.... In hindsight I think the S2 would be a better choice. Unless you really know what you are doing you will hardly ever use the 2 other sample decks. Save some coin and just get the 2 channel version cause it has all the same functionality except the samples.

Also would not recommend the monitors. I have some 8" M-Audio ones, and they sound nice (amazing really). Very flat and natural response.... But that's not how people listen to this music. I find at times I have too much bass in my transitions between songs cause what I am hearing is not bass heavy unlike normal stereo (mine included). If you do need some speakers, just get some PC 2.1 speakers. I'd still go nicer than basic logitech's, but thats me. So now I want to add a $500 active sub to go with my $600 monitors.

This hobby has gotten expensive fast. Just bought some HD25 headphones ($280) and I'd hate to add up what I have spent on tunes in this short time.

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
DrC1 - Live Electro Practise Mix | Mixcloud

One of the things with the mixes I have linked so far is they are meticulously planned and practised prior to hitting the record button and doing my thing.... It is all live, not put together afterwards in Ableton etc. But, this is not how real live mixing and DJing out there in the wild works. You need to be able to decide what songs you want to come up next as you go, to read the crowd. So I thought I would do some practising at this (I am still new remember). Best way to know how you went, is to hit record and listen to it back.

So, this mix is far from perfect but I am surprised at how decent it is. The only major stuff up I had was mixing into "Too Much Love". This was due to the fact I was having huge trouble finding a song to play next. And running out of time I picked a song that was in appropriate key, genre and tempo and quickly (but failed) to que it up and mix it in. After this though it comes together really well. I was aiming for a more club friendly, electro mix.

The other general rule is feel the flow, and this is where I went wrong too IMO. I started off strong, but then forced the mix into the more cheesy electro style (not my normal thing) with the "Alcohol" song and the flow of the mix went astray here. If I had just done my thing and missed those 3 or 4 tunes it would've been better. Also didn't plan on finishing on the song I did, but same problem of not finding a tune fast enough, I thought I would just end it there. I was trying to bring it back to the cheesy electro thing again.