Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Engineers/Engineering Students on here?

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
Hi guys,

today was my first day at uni, i have just commenced studying engineering. I have just taken a break from pulling all my hair out doing my homework and need some place to vent, has been one of the most stressful days of my life....

Someone please tell me it gets better...

Share your experiences in this thread.

gst987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 60th Anniversary
It was 1981 when I sat in my first uni class. Since then finished my Engineering Degree, and went on to do 3 others ... so it can't be too bad ... but I have to say I'm glad I'm not back at day one!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
its not that bad mate. just keep up with what's going on so you don't get behind and you'll be sweeet. Make some friends too so you can help each other out.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
It gets better and worse. Courses change.

The only advice I can give you is don't procrastinate. Knuckle down and knock stuff over as fast as you can. Do exceptional in the assignments and it leaves you with a good chance for the rest.

I'm 2nd/3rd year Electrical at USQ. Taking a little ciesta and thinking about taking a semester off to let my hair down. But work won't like the idea.

tommo82

Non-donating member.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 HSV Senator
Congratulations on your choice of Engineering.

I did electronic engineering - graduated in 2003. 3rd year was the killer for me. It gets better, don't worry about that. Wait till you experience the luxuries of an engineering career after finishing your hard earned qualification. The possibilities are endless. Myself and many of my university friends have travelled the world with our careers after only 5 years and ended up working for all different types of companies: Telecommunications, consulting, financial, mining, or themselves.

What sort of engineering are you studying ? The thing I most enjoyed about my degree was the second year project. You were free to design some sort of electrical system. We ended up taking an off the shelf remote control car and plastering infrared sensors all over it. We made some digital electronics to determine the direction of the incident light on the car and developed a primitive wireless modem to send the direction info back to a computer where we had a C program running to make a decision about which way to steer the car to follow the light. We learned the following semester that we could have done exactly the same thing with a $2 micro-controller ;)

Edit: ahh, the memories http://www.tommo.org/lsv/

Last edited:

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
Congratulations on your choice of Engineering.

I did electronic engineering - graduated in 2003. 3rd year was the killer for me. It gets better, don't worry about that. Wait till you experience the luxuries of an engineering career after finishing your hard earned qualification. The possibilities are endless. Myself and many of my university friends have travelled the world with our careers after only 5 years and ended up working for all different types of companies: Telecommunications, consulting, financial, mining, or themselves.

What sort of engineering are you studying ? The thing I most enjoyed about my degree was the second year project. You were free to design some sort of electrical system. We ended up taking an off the shelf remote control car and plastering infrared sensors all over it. We made some digital electronics to determine the direction of the incident light on the car and developed a primitive wireless modem to send the direction info back to a computer where we had a C program running to make a decision about which way to steer the car to follow the light. We learned the following semester that we could have done exactly the same thing with a $2 micro-controller ;)

Edit: ahh, the memories Index of /lsv

Basically, at my uni we study a common first year and then choose the stream we wish to follow, at this stage im tending towards chemical, however any recommendations would be great.

I do thoroughly look forward to working as an engineer, as i have done many such work experience programs through rio tinto, i just did not expect the work to be such full on on my first day!

Ah well, it can only get better from here i guess.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Basically, at my uni we study a common first year and then choose the stream we wish to follow, at this stage im tending towards chemical, however any recommendations would be great.

I do thoroughly look forward to working as an engineer, as i have done many such work experience programs through rio tinto, i just did not expect the work to be such full on on my first day!

Ah well, it can only get better from here i guess.

I just finished 2nd year chem eng and applied chem, and everyone in 4th/5th year told us the 2nd year of our course is the worst, and I certainly hope they were right.
It can be a lot of hard work sometimes, but a lot of the projects can be quite interesting - designing a waste water system for an indian orphanage, design a plant to produce x amount of wine, design a coffee processing plant, etc
Do you have any ideas what you want to get into when you graduate? Because chem eng has a massive range of industries you can work in

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
I just finished 2nd year chem eng and applied chem, and everyone in 4th/5th year told us the 2nd year of our course is the worst, and I certainly hope they were right.
It can be a lot of hard work sometimes, but a lot of the projects can be quite interesting - designing a waste water system for an indian orphanage, design a plant to produce x amount of wine, design a coffee processing plant, etc
Do you have any ideas what you want to get into when you graduate? Because chem eng has a massive range of industries you can work in

not really sure, i just want to move into a career which enables me to move around alot... whether it be internationally or domestically, i dont really wanna stay in the same spot for more than a few weeks at a time at most before returning home.