Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any one here ever worked in, or at a servo?

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
just wondering. i put my Resume in for about 4 servo's in my area. and 2 of them told me they were severley under staffed.... so hopefully i'll get a call from em... i dunno why i wanna work in a servo at the moment...

i and 5 other casual part timers were layed off work about 2 months ago. i was working for K-Mart in the sound and vision section... apparently due to GFC, and they were up to their necks in debt.

anyway, yesterday just decided to try and get a job at a servo

has anyone ever worked at a 24 hour servo? or a normal servo?... what was your pay like? and was it ****?

i'm guessing it'll be **** boring.. but hey it's money... and i actually think i'll enjoy it..

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Boring, Easy to Rob, Pay is normally pretty good especially on graveyard shifts in the 24 hour ones unless its one of those Coles or Woolworths ones, then you get the pay that you would get if you worked in the supermarkets.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
I did it when I was younger. My next door neighbour owned an Ampol servo (don't even think Ampol are around anymore lol) so I worked there for cash in hand. At first it was just a few hours every saturday morning cleaning the pumps and doing other little crappy jobs for $10 an hour. Slowly I started working the registers and doing other things and the pay went up as time went by, until he finally put me on the books and was paying me whatever the award rates were. Work wasn't bad... good people there to work with so it never really got too boring. Boss was good cos he was my next door neighbour.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
It's mind-numbingly boring (very repetitive) and you cop **** from total morons all day long - but it pays really well for all you have to do and if it's like the one i used to work at you get a fuel discount too.
So it's not too bad i spose. Wouldn't want to do it for a living though - definately just something for some extra cash or a uni student, etc.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
mostly indians now, might have to dye ur skin black and talk like an indian

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
did it part time for nearly 6 years through school and uni. think the weekend shifts were something like $24 per hour which wasn't too bad for a sit-on-arse job.
I did a couple of servos, one was graveyard which i did for 3 weeks then gave it up (it was only really to cash up in a hurry) and the other was only really weekend shifts.
The money served me very well, saved a house deposit while i was at uni. There was the odd time i did a couple of weeks in a row which i liked.
Preferred early shift - 7-2pm because you could still have your evening. With the 2-9pm shift i found i'd sleep in then pretty much go to work without enjoying any part of the day.

Don't get hooked on eating the shitty hotdogs, i gained a few kg working there....

I couldn't do it as a 'normal' job - it's really not something many would aspire to do as it isn't really a career, but in this climate it's a paying job so goodluck!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I work at a servo, have done for 3 years now. Its really good work for someone at uni because of the hours. Bit hard to work 9 til 5 when you have uni as well.

Im on $22 an hour and $29 on weekends. I used to do night shifts, but only do afternoons now (3pm til 11pm).

I find regular customers are excellent, you really get to know alot of people that live close by or work near by and come in on most shifts. I get plenty of people that stay half an hour or so just to chat. As long as your customer service is good and you're not another robot behind a counter anyway.

Avoid the service stations owned by the supermarkets (Coles and Woolworths branded servo's) and BP on the Run (Although they're mainly SA anyway). BP corporate, caltex corporate and Mobil Quix (soon to be caltex also) are the best places to work.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Thought some servo workers might find this interesting...

This is for the army of under appreciated, hard working and tolerant group of “Servo” workers who draw a raw deal when tirelessly dealing with the general public.

This is also for those workers of small businesses with high volumes of customers who also deal with the ever-growing percentage of stupid people found in the general public. Is it getting worse or what? I’m not saying it’s a epidemic, plague, pestilence or pandemic but it’s on the increase and I think the more technology we get the worse it gets!

Anyway, you know who you are, you are a counselor, UBD, Advisor, OPEC, Mechanic, Philosopher, Consultant, Wikipedia, a Bank, Cash Converters, an ATM, Police and much much more.

For you the ‘Console Operator’ who endures the general public who:
- think you run OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) or at least greatly influence the price of crude oil,
- who can’t read the price boards and work out what a the price of Regular unleaded, Premium, Ultimate, L.P.G Diesel or what discount price means,
- who cannot tell the difference between how many litres or dollars they just put in their car,
- who can’t read basic signs like ‘Counter Closed’, ‘Pump Closed’ and ‘ATM not working’, ‘out of papers’ ‘door bell’ but still ask you anyway,
- who not only don’t know what pump they just used but how much they put in or what colour car they own,
- who don’t understand that monthly specials only run for one month then change,
- that we can’t predict the future with any real certainty,
- that just because they saw it on TV or MythBusters they can do what they want with a mobile phone, cigarettes or lighters (yes it’s against the law),
- who can’t swipe a Key Card with any great success,
- who can buy something cheaper at Coles and that’s our fault,
- who think we want to know their life story,
- who think we remember every sale we make and person we serve and that they are over 18 and we should remember them (they need to learn to tip $5 every time they come in if they want to be remembered),
- can’t take a joke,
- who think Windows & computers don’t ever crash and neither does the EFTPOS,
- that it’s our fault their bank doesn’t like them,
- fuel is always cheaper down the road and you can match it,
- you can do a ‘deal’ and put ‘stuff’ on ‘tick’ for them,
- that you can trust them, they’ll come back to pay,
- who walk into automatic doors when they are locked
- who use chewing gum to break a $50 note at the start of your shift
and you know the rest as this list could go on forever!

But you also know that there are some real gems who tell you a joke, or make you smile or notice when you have missed a shift and ask you about your life story. It is these people that make your night/day, even if you only see a couple of them every shift. It’s the regulars and your work mates that keep you going even when the pay isn’t worth it and so, this page is for you.

To the ‘Servo’ girls and guys of Australia, I salute you!

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
Im on $22 an hour and $29 on weekends. I used to do night shifts, but only do afternoons now (3pm til 11pm).

what kind of $$ do you get just for like day shift or like daily rate?? and how much did you getfor night?? lik 12pm etc??

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Thought some servo workers might find this interesting...

This is for the army of under appreciated, hard working and tolerant group of “Servo” workers who draw a raw deal when tirelessly dealing with the general public.

This is also for those workers of small businesses with high volumes of customers who also deal with the ever-growing percentage of stupid people found in the general public. Is it getting worse or what? I’m not saying it’s a epidemic, plague, pestilence or pandemic but it’s on the increase and I think the more technology we get the worse it gets!

Anyway, you know who you are, you are a counselor, UBD, Advisor, OPEC, Mechanic, Philosopher, Consultant, Wikipedia, a Bank, Cash Converters, an ATM, Police and much much more.

For you the ‘Console Operator’ who endures the general public who:
- think you run OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) or at least greatly influence the price of crude oil,
- who can’t read the price boards and work out what a the price of Regular unleaded, Premium, Ultimate, L.P.G Diesel or what discount price means,
- who cannot tell the difference between how many litres or dollars they just put in their car,
- who can’t read basic signs like ‘Counter Closed’, ‘Pump Closed’ and ‘ATM not working’, ‘out of papers’ ‘door bell’ but still ask you anyway,
- who not only don’t know what pump they just used but how much they put in or what colour car they own,
- who don’t understand that monthly specials only run for one month then change,
- that we can’t predict the future with any real certainty,
- that just because they saw it on TV or MythBusters they can do what they want with a mobile phone, cigarettes or lighters (yes it’s against the law),
- who can’t swipe a Key Card with any great success,
- who can buy something cheaper at Coles and that’s our fault,
- who think we want to know their life story,
- who think we remember every sale we make and person we serve and that they are over 18 and we should remember them (they need to learn to tip $5 every time they come in if they want to be remembered),
- can’t take a joke,
- who think Windows & computers don’t ever crash and neither does the EFTPOS,
- that it’s our fault their bank doesn’t like them,
- fuel is always cheaper down the road and you can match it,
- you can do a ‘deal’ and put ‘stuff’ on ‘tick’ for them,
- that you can trust them, they’ll come back to pay,
- who walk into automatic doors when they are locked
- who use chewing gum to break a $50 note at the start of your shift
and you know the rest as this list could go on forever!

But you also know that there are some real gems who tell you a joke, or make you smile or notice when you have missed a shift and ask you about your life story. It is these people that make your night/day, even if you only see a couple of them every shift. It’s the regulars and your work mates that keep you going even when the pay isn’t worth it and so, this page is for you.

To the ‘Servo’ girls and guys of Australia, I salute you!

I think this applies to retail in general cause i certainly understand where your coming from there.

"aww why did u move the bread?" so you have to look around harder to find it and by doing that buy other things you didnt originally want so the company makes more money