Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any other jobs while engine is out?

hobbsy4

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Calais 5.7L Sedan
Hi all,

VZ Calais 5.7, all stock. 300k, running well apart from a start up noise.

I've had a noisy lifter on start up for a couple of years, and occasionally on idle. Video here.

I'm fairly handy, and have removed a 4L straight six jeep engine before but only for the welch plugs, rear main seal etc.

On the ls1, while I'm fitting a new engine back exhaust, I thought I could do the lifters and chain. And then I thought perhaps a mild cam. Then an oil pump. And perhaps renew the water pump, just because it's out.

I do a lot of towing, 1.6t boat. And a lot of highway miles. Any thoughts on cam sizes (ls3 stock was recommended in the video).

As it's got a few km, I was also thinking rear main seal. And then I could do a high stall converter but probably not required...

Any other jobs to do while it's out? Rings? I think the bottom end would be fine, it's not using any oil and there are no other issues, but I don't want to take it out again for a few years. Not really looking at major changes such as stroking.

TIA

Last edited:

keybored68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Alloytec
"Any other jobs to do while it's out?"......Yep, mow the lawn, paint the garage, and how about popping the sump off and replacing the oil pickup O ring.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
300ks due for a rebuild

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Hobbys4

We are going through a similar exercise. Our VY SV8 work ute hit a roo and was written off so we did a transplant into a rolling VZ ute shell. We were closer to 350K on the clock when we pulled the running gear. We had no compression issues but we pulled her down anyway. We found the valve seals were a little leaky - not bad but definitely in need of replacement.

We spoke with the guys at VCM re a new cam and opted for a 262, on their recommendation, as we will still use her as a bit of a run around; we are builders. Any of the reputable mobs should be able to help you out. If you are pulling the donk out I recommend, at a minimum, doing the rear main, oil and water pump and valve stem seals. Given the noisy lifters they are probably a must do as well. Based on the miles - the decision on the rings etc is a toss up - depends on what you find.

As for performance upgrades. We did the cam, springs, lifters, dual timing chain and sprocket, and oil pump for $2250. Add in new gaskets and head bolts and we were close to 3K all up with no labour so it isn't a cheap exercise. The beast is not yet on the road as we are waiting on a clutch line, alternator and a couple of 02 sensors. We have fitted and OTRCAI and will send her off for a MAFless tune before putting her back on the road. Once we are there I will let you know what a difference it has made for us when we load her up.

Chers n Beers
Jolls

hobbsy4

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Calais 5.7L Sedan
Cheers for the replies,

I hadn't thought of the oil pick up o-ring, it has an oil pressure CEL occasionally, only started recently, but I'm waiting for a new oil sensor to arrive. I'll get onto the lawn tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing the results from the rebuild, Jolls. I'd also worked it out to be close to 3k. I wonder if anyone has a near new ls3 stock cam for sale? They're fairly close to those specs.

Perhaps one day it'd improve in value, perhaps not. So although an ls2/98 is tempting, I'd like to keep the engine. It's been good to me for the past ten years, running up and down the highway around Rocky, and it tows well. Only hit a hare in all those k's!