Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any wireless internet geeks out there?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
Hi all, i am trying to set up a wireless internet connection at my neigbours house. i can connect to the internet fine through the siemens (optus supplied) adsl2 modem but when i connect the wireless router (tp link brand) i cannot conect to the internet even though it has a so called quick setup.

the laptop can pickup the router with excellent signal strength

optus uses pppoe setup in the modem so i tried that in the router settings but it didnt work. i then tried dynamic setup and got wireless internet but it drops out and doesnt re-conect everytime even though the signal is excellent.

i have wireless internet myself with optus using a dlink router and everything works 100%

has anyone got any ideas what i could do as i don't really know what i am doing with the settings, really just trying different things. i have spent many hours trying to get it to work properly but am now getting frustrated and was wondering if anyone can help????

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
you need to set up the security and other stuff on the router, the instructions should tell you how to log in to the router admin, then follow them from there.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
yes i have set up security and accessed the router but cant work out which settings i need for the internet connection

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
sorry you've lost me, someone else may know more than me about this.

it took me ages to set mine up first time, so i sympathise.

Bennyoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
yes i have set up security and accessed the router but cant work out which settings i need for the internet connection

When I was setting up my wireless network, I could not make the router and modem to communicate. If you go into the setup screen of your modem (http://10.1.1.1/ for me), look for [Mode Connection] or something similar. The default will be Optus Bridge. I changed it to NAPT and voila...internet access. You can try this. Hope it works for you.

And for those of you who use wireless connection, please add security if you don't have it. Your neighbour may be downloading illicit files by using your bandwidth.

Cheers

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
when u log onto the router use a network cable first - guarentee good connection -- next check u can access the internet this way as well. Sometimes your computer picks up oter wireless signals from the area - around my house theres 9 other wireless signals - u should consider changing the channel your router sends on - eg i think default is channel 11 so maybe choose something out the ordinary like 1 - u will find u get heaps less dropouts - then you need to use a wep key - wpa passphrase to lock it all up see how that goes

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Are the wireless router and wireless internet modem connected together through a cable or wirelessly?

If they are connected through a cable any decent router will detect the internet and all you have to do is enable wep for security and it should all work.

My wireless internet works lovely with my wireless d-link router, no problems, although to begin with the internet use to drop out but dad played aorund and we get no problems anymore.

keza87

JCCC NSW Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX/VY/VZ Wagon LS1
Just to get this clarified.
Are you connecting the optus supplied modem the the wireless router or is the telephone line going straight to the wireless router.

If you are still using the optus modem with the wireless router it should just be plug and play. try resetting the unit to factry defaults in this case.

If the telephone line is connecting to the wireless router, you may have a compatibility problem with the router and ADSL2. But I have not set up an adsl2 connection before so try having a go with the settings for it. You can't do any damage to it and if things get screwed up then there is always the reset button.

If you can find the actual model number of the device, that would be a good start for others to help

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
the modem, being optus, may me in a form of a half bridge mode, thus the router should be in ' automatic / DHCP ' mode ( not PPPoE/PPPoA or bridge )

alternitively, log into the modem itself, set that to bridging mode and enter the internet details into the router itself ( my preferred way of setting it up )

if that makes sense

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
The phone line plugs into the siemens 4200 modem, then i have a cable from the modem to the router as it is just a wireless router and NOT a router with a modem built in. it wont work with the default settings so i will try some of the suggestions from here. i think the most common suggestion seems to be to run the modem in bridged mode and then the router in pppoe mode so i will try that this afternoon.