Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody built a house recently?

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Im about to build and would like to know who people have built with and who i should avoid.
I have got just over a quarter of an acre to build on and need to get things moving.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
I've heard that ALL the mainstream builders are shocking. Even the ones with a reputation for building good quality homes.

I'm a sparky and recently been doing some work with a chippy that used to work Porter Davis Homes. Porter Davis was one of the ones that I would have rated very highly up there with the best of the best, but he tells me that their quality of work is very very poor. They push for the jobs to be completed as quickly as possible, and in the process force the trades to take short cuts to get things done quicker.

I've also seen it first hand for myself recently. We were asked to replace all the light fittings in a newly built Porter Davis house. While the wiring was good, you could see flaws in the build quality and even the design of the house. Walls not square, drooping ceilings, front door off-centre etc.

This might not be the case everywhere and with all mainstream builders... but just what I've seen and heard from within the construction trade.

My advice would be to find a good private builder... unless you're happy with mediocre quality.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Wife and I moved into our new place in July last year. Because of the reasons above, we didn't go with a mainstream company but decided on a private builder. Had a few minor issues but overall we were very happy with our decision to go with a private builder and the end product. Where are you located?

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Im building in Lancefield (Vic).Most of the houses these days are designed for long blocks but because of a 3mt easement and a 5m backset only leaves me with about 21mt of house space and i need more.The block is over 30 mt wide but there are not too many wide homes out there.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
With major builders you generally get better warranties. While 1 person In east of melbourne might use metricon and they suck the person north of melbourne could use them and they are really good.

I know people who have built with Metricon, Porter Davis, Burbank, Henley, AV jennings. All say great things about their own homes.

Go look at some builders, decide which offers the best value for money.

I personally found Henley one of the best for customer service and they had some great floor plans(which we stole) :p

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Ha ha! They're pretty narky when it comes to copyright infringement as well. My wife showed our builder a picture of an old federation home and we were told he couldn't build it exactly like that because it was identical to a home one of the builders was offering. (Think it was Harkaway Homes.)

We had a different problem. There was 4 metres of fall across the building site and our frontage was only 25 metres. We ended up building a place with 3 different levels so worked out well. But from the front it looks like one single level. Here's a pic showing how steep our block is. There is 25 metres of fall across the block.

IMG_0755.jpg

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
With major builders you generally get better warranties. While 1 person In east of melbourne might use metricon and they suck the person north of melbourne could use them and they are really good.

I know people who have built with Metricon, Porter Davis, Burbank, Henley, AV jennings. All say great things about their own homes.

I personally found Henley one of the best for customer service and they had some great floor plans(which we stole) :p

Yeah we have did a lot of looking and we loved the Henley homes but the one we wanted wouldnt fit.
Wife is looking at the Porter Davis homes as we speak(type).

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon

Yeah like I said it might not be the case everywhere.. obviously it depends on the tradesmen they hire to do the actual work. But they do have a reputation for pushing out homes as quickly as possible, which in a lot of cases will result in short cuts being taken and cheaper materials being used.

Warranty's are great.. but I'd rather not have to make any warranty claims in the first place.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Yeah like I said it might not be the case everywhere.. obviously it depends on the tradesmen they hire to do the actual work. But they do have a reputation for pushing out homes as quickly as possible, which in a lot of cases will result in short cuts being taken and cheaper materials being used.

Warranty's are great.. but I'd rather not have to make any warranty claims in the first place.
Ill give you quick build time,my first home was built in 12 weeks and that was from bare ground to getting the keys.
No real complaints either.