Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anybody else here not a fan of facebook? (facebook rant)

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
Hi guys, thought id start this thread to see if anyone else out there hates facebook as much as i do

I know i shouldnt be preaching the gospel about how bad it is really when i have been on it myself in the past, only to realise what a waste of time it is.

Deactivating my account has been the best move ive made, seriously.

ive noticed over the past 2 years of people i know, signing up on it that theyve gone from being really nice, down to earth people willing to chat, to know it all, arrogant, bad mooded people that you just cant talk to in real life, but chat over facebook and everything is fine (wtf)

My lunchroom chat time has gone from a friendly 1/2 hour chit chat while eating, to a ring of people looking at their phones waiting for the next hint of newsfeed gossip, facebook has them hooked that bad that if you try to actually talk to them while theyre scrolling through their pages of utter sh1t, they just arc up and have a tantrum in front of you for disturbing the peace

Also, i hear of peoples relationships going down the tubes because of a simple website that has taken over the world, literally.
Where everyone's living in one anothers pockets via the internet-why????

When i was on it, i used to read the stupidest posts, such as : i just made a piece of toast. WOW congratulations for sharing that OH SO VALUABLE piece of information, i literally just wasted about 5 seconds of my life that ill never get back-i NEVER would have thought that youd make a piece of toast for breakfast -.-

I could have a massive rant, but im sure you guys get the idea...

Do i just have a negative view on it? or are their like minded people out there?

Whats everyones take on the website?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
social media, its part of the present, and the future. many people hate it, many people love it, too many people seem addicted to it.

i have facebook, i post more pictures and status updates about my cars than anything else, but my cars are my life, so i guess that makes sense. ive got people on there that post ****, share stupid motivational pictures, try to play games, etc.

its not going away any time soon, i try not to worry myself over the bs that gets posted on there, see it and keep scrolling. theres better things to do.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I mainly use facebook for posting stupid/funny pictures or for taking the piss out of people.
Have had a couple of people delete me as a friend because of it, lol
But in saying that, I have made some friends overseas from some music pages I joined.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
I deactivated my account, I got scared by how many times my mum could have potentially died in a house fire if i didnt like a photo

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
Never have been a part of it and never will be :)

Social media is just another avenue to ensure people never leave the house as they are glued to the screen....The idea of 'oh look I went to high school with you, be my friend" just shits me, If i wanted to keep in contact with you I would of got your number/email/address. I dont need updates letting me know what you had for breakfast/your stuck in traffic/guy on the train next to you smells etc, simple fact is that I just do not care what little thought that you just had to express to the world.

facebook/twitter etc just suck

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you let it take over your free time, then yes can be consuming.
You have to have a sense of reality and utilise what it can offer whilst still being grounded.

For me, keeps me in contact with family and friends and relatives overseas.

However, i think Facebook is on the decline now. Everyone whom has it has it and so its reached its peak and people are getting annoyed like Heron with it and disabling their accounts.
Its not for everyone, but treat it as a form of communication

And to be honest, when you are on a train or waiting for a long period of time(doctors surgery), can be useful as a tool to stop boredom, as also is Angry Birds.

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I can't stand it. I got tricked into joining a few years ago. I got some sort of friendship request from my new g/f at the time via email, requesting I join up to reply. I had no interest in Facebook (the little I knew about it) but I thought I'd better not be rude, so I joined up, set up a very basic profile & pic and replied to her message. Her reply back implied she was surprised to see me on the page. When I talked to her next I said to her that I joined because she sent me a request. She said she never sent me the request.... twilight zone stuff

Even if I did want to use it, I can't figure the bloody thing out. It's a complete mess, there is completely random **** going on everywhere. I can't figure out who is talking to who, hell I can't even figure out who half the people are that appear on my page. It breaks every rule in website design. I have no patience for a webpage that looks like a page out of some teenage girls scrapbook.

I got my g/f to disable all the bloody messages I keep getting sent, as I was getting friendship requests almost every week from deadbeat relatives I haven't even seen in 20 years..

I unintentionally visited the page one day when somebody on a car forum posted a link to pics of their car. I ended up on my own page, saw a message from somebody that I think I knew. So I clicked on the box and ended up on some friggin dating site. I quickly exited out that - thinking boy I'm going to be in the **** with the g/f because apparently anyone that you accept as a 'friend' can see everything you do.... Next day I get an email from the dating site saying 'thankyou for submitting your profile' and then about 10 messages from girls wanting to chat. awww **** WTF!!!! :bomb: They were probably all B/S profiles, but bloody hell!! I checked out the site and there was my profile stolen from Facebook with my profile picture! So I click 'unsubscribe', 'delete my profile' but I can't get rid of it or the friggin emails!! I'm thinking Jeesuzz..... So I thought I better tell the g/f before she finds out the wrong way and gets the wrong idea. Fortunately she took my word for it and had a laugh about it - meanwhile I want to kill someone. Eventually between the pair of us I managed to get off the dating site.

Fair dinkum! And the g/f's teenage daughter has no end of dramas with it. Other bitches bullying her etc. And then we find out through my g/f's ex-husband (of all people) that her daughter has been bagging out her on facebook after an arguement they had. So the g/f bans the daughter from Facebook - took several weeks to remove her profile.... well..... didn't the **** hit the fan. Her daughter wouldn't talk to her for days, threatened to run away blah blah blah

faark! Do you want to rant about facebook ? Now you got me started!!!!!!!

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i think people that have addictive personalities are the ones that dont do well with anything in life. im a firm believer facebook was invented for women, its been scientifically proven they talk more then men, pretty sure a study has linked a gene to it as well. all i have to do to reinforce that view is listen to my wife after work rant on office gossip (i just act like i listen), then watch her sit on facebook for 2 hours... i dont have an account, but i do use my wifes account maybe once or twice a week to shoot a message off to my family in the states...

theres always people that are going to use a handy tool as a crutch instead...

X6 One Tonner

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 One Tonner
And lets not forget It gives prospective employers a great character reference ( or not so great )

Calling in sick to go fishing /to the pub/cricket...ete etc

It is a great human resources research tool that saves many wasted hours of listening to B...S.H...T in interviews by not even bothering to contact you re your application

Never had an account and never will

Much rather ring a couple of mates and catch up and organize an event

Totally amazing that people go on about loss of privacy blah blah and then put all their dirty laundry on the net for all to see worldwide

What goes on the net stays on the net

If we need to tell long distance family members news we just hook up skype and have a chat

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
its the easiest and best way for me to stay in touch with my friends overseas. and yes i have lots of friends overseas. staying in touch means i always have a couch/bed anytime i need it.

my friends care about me and vice versa, but unfortunatly i decided to leave and come back to shitty aus, so face-to-face contact isnt possible.

also its useful for uploading/accessing pics.

i understand why people dont want to be part of it, but for example i am part of a group called "the do cool **** outdoors group" where a bunch of good lads throw up ideas on healthy non-drinking-related activities to do. so far we have organised something for each weekend for the last 3 months, and fellas that dont have facebook tend to get left out, cos' we assume they know all the deets already. dicks to them, join the party fellas.

you can be signed up to facebook and utilise it to whatever degree you want. if you wanna get sucked into it, then do. if you just wanna stay in touch with mates and be kept in the loop about what your local pub has on on a tuesday night, then do that. either way you dont hear me ranting:

"does anyone else hate the people that dont use facebook? how am i supposed to stay in touch with them??? [@drawnnite, get facebook you slacker]