Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone else working FIFO

itsagixa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
its a catch 22...you need experience to work at the mines but how do you get experience working in the mines if you cant even get a job in said mine....Hays dont know what they are talking about, ive seen plenty of new guys start up at my mine...3 more general guys started 1 week ago so they do hire inexperienced people.
Try approaching Kingsgate
Kingsgate Consolidated - Operations
drop them an email and see how you go

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
Access Training Centre
7 La Salle Street
Dudley Park
SA 5008
PH: (08) 8169 9800
Home - Access Training Centre [ATC] - Forklift, White Card, Excavator, Skid Steer, Elevated Work Platform Training Courses
The Next course for front end loader is the 21st October at a value of $1420 and goes for 3 days

that took me 1 min with google to find...im sure there plenty of others around mate, good luck

Thanks for the help mate, appreciate it

STEEV888- EVERYONE I've spoken to has said that its not what you know(within reason, I mean you have to have some experience), its who you know....unfortunately I don't know anyone working in the mines :(

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Alpha: Don't give up, persistance can pay off - follow that dream.

Also you now know guys on here that work in the mines :)

Try this mob, we have used them before Red Earth Training Solutions

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
Alpha: Don't give up, persistance can pay off - follow that dream.

Also you now know guys on here that work in the mines :)

Try this mob, we have used them before Red Earth Training Solutions

Thanks for the help ClairBear...I will be definately looking into doing some training and getting at the minimum my HR in the next few weeks. Hopefully this will help me out in the long run...

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
Thanks for the help mate, appreciate it

STEEV888- EVERYONE I've spoken to has said that its not what you know(within reason, I mean you have to have some experience), its who you know....unfortunately I don't know anyone working in the mines :(

yeah, the same thing has been drilled into me.
i know 1 person who works for the mines (sorta) mates dad is an independent drilling estimator he got my mate a fifo job at darwin on an oil rig which he started this week for 3 weeks but says jobs are limited so maybe soon he could help me or my mate could talk to ppl there who are looking for more labour hands

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
im actually heading up the east coast next week, going to be looking up mine sites, hire companies etc and checking in with all I can up the east coast from sydney to newcastle, brisbane to hervey bay to see what i can find.

I figure a lot of places take you more seriously if you here I am :)

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I figure a lot of places take you more seriously if you here I am :)

Correct. Call in, then call in a day or two later. Then go back again... keep this up till they say "wow you are keen and really want a job hey?"

I have seen this work many times.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
im working on a nickel mine in WA, my way on to the mines was through construction!!!!!! we are building dams and haulroads and all kinds of earth works. i drive excavators and loaders ect. im working a 4 weeks on 1 week off roster and love it..... 12 hours a day. i fly from sydney to perth every single month. im only going to do it for a few years then i will move back east to the singlton mines close to home. if it wasnt for FIFO work on the mines i wouldnt have my ss wagon

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
If any of you guys are young, with a few years to kill, and looking for a guaranteed way into the mines then become a plant mechanic.

IMO shits all over car/truck mechanics. (don't hurt your back - everything's too heavy to lift etc..) If you know what you're doing its easy work, and can be great conditions.

Easiest way to get mining experience without going to the mines is in a Quarry, I had been trying to get into the mines for ages after my apprenticeship, now with 6 months Quarry experience I'm in a hellova lot better position to bargain with potential employers... Or do your time with Westrac, or Komatsu etc...

In NSW, HR licences aren't really sought after, for operators or field service jobs most of the guys run around in small trucks (c class) or utes.

alpha_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
UPDATE: For anyone whos interested in getting a HR license, theres a place in Adelaide (I got my MR though them, instructor was good) that is offering a HR license in 1 day for $1100...thought this sounded like a good deal. Not sure if you need MR already, doubt it but all you need to have is the ability to drive manual well.