Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone know how to fix these various external rubber/plastic pieces on a VY

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I got a few bits and pieces i wouldnt mind replacing with new ones on my VY SS, mainly due to fading from the sun.

1) Black Surrounding on front antenna (built in guard)
2) Black piece that goes at the bottom of the rear window which covers the top roof rubber and meets the bottom windscreen rubber (both sides)
3) Rubber strip between rear door window and side window that wont open - has all been burned with a buffer. ( i know it is attached to the small side glass, but does anyone know of any way to touch it up without using spray paint becuase it just comes off after a few washes.

Anyone who has any ideas how to replace and fix please let me know.

Cheers

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I was actually thinking of just getting new clips for the back of the window.

Any idea if they come off easily? Was just thinking to simply replace them they are only small.

Wonder if holden spare parts sell em.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
vasalene is a petrolium based jelly. plastic is also a petrolium based substance. the fading of the plastic is from the oil drying out on the surface, so when the ol' vas has a chance to melt and sink in, the plastic sucks the oil back up and looks 'better' not like new, but a LOT better.

also, the more you apply (say once every few months) the longer your plastics will keep their OEM colour and finish. so go to town on any bits of raw plastic you can see.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
vasalene is a petrolium based jelly. plastic is also a petrolium based substance. the fading of the plastic is from the oil drying out on the surface, so when the ol' vas has a chance to melt and sink in, the plastic sucks the oil back up and looks 'better' not like new, but a LOT better.

also, the more you apply (say once every few months) the longer your plastics will keep their OEM colour and finish. so go to town on any bits of raw plastic you can see.

Mate should have taken your advice... Was driving past a holden parts center on my lunch today and decided to pop in and ask how much for those rear window plastics and since they were only $8 for both i picked them up and tried to fit them on my break and now i think ive broken something.

While pulling out the existing clip i accidently pulled a small part of the roof rubber out of its place and i cant for the life of me get it to sit back down flush. Dont know if there was a clip or something i may have broke.. but i didnt hear anything snap.

Oh well, prepared to just get new roof rubbers too and take all 4 pieces down to my local panel shop mate and have him fit it for me. What a hassle.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Well figured out what it was, busted half the guide/Rail witch is attached to the rear window and that's why it wasn't sitting flush. Wonder how much a panel shop would charge to fix ?