Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

anyone tried Champix to quit smoking?

UNKNOWN

DEFECTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR SII BT1 5 Speed
might be a bit of a hijack, but what posesses smokers to take up smoking in the first place?

Its cool! Duh!

Nah good luck too ya. I quit 5 or 6 years ago now, it was hard but worth it. I just went cold turkey. I was out in the country at the time 10km dirt road to the nearest town so there was now easy was of getting smokes! Just kept myself occupied and busy and lots off coffee!!!:thumbsup:

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I took a puff only once in my life just to see whats its like. GAWD its awful, How can people get addicted to this kind of stuff??
I mean seriously, it does not taste, smell good either. Whats so special about that makes people addicted to it?? I must be missing something here...

By the way GOOD LUCK!!!!

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I thought Champix was great, I gave up for 6 months or so last year and stupidly took it up again for reasons I can't recall now, I had a few tries with patches but it just didn't work or I didn't let it work (take your pick).

Start of the year I went on Champix along with a co-worker and we've been smoke free since the end of January, I have had 1 or 2 but that is whilst fairly heavily intoxicated, not much you can do about the will power then.

I found the night tablet would knock me for 6 for an hour or so, I'd be lying in bed and just spring to life as if I've had hours of sleep.

The morning tablet I found if I didn't have something to eat within 20 minutes my stomach would get really twitchy and almost to a point where I was going to be sick, this was just something I got used to it.

What really amazed me was you get to a point when your taking them you think I don't want this smoke but I will anyway, you still need will power as I was more or less found I was smoking purely because it was the habit thing. Even now there are certain things which I do which spark me to thinking I need a smoke but it doesn't take much to overcome them (it does get easier but don't get sucked in and think like me that 1 won't hurt).

Be very prepared to whack on some weight although it was the least of my worries at the time, in 3 months of quitting I whacked on 16kg which was disappointing but I'm slowly peeling them off again with plenty of extra.

All in all I couldn't be happier, I am back on my bike and doing 8km each morning which for the size of me I think is a feat in itself.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I think a bloke at work used those tablets to give up. He had good success while he was on the tablets. But he wasnt really ready to give up and his will power was pretty weak because of that, so as soon as he stopped taking them, about a week later he was back on the durries. But he does recommend them, he said they worked good.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
I think my mate is using champix now. Apparently you start taking the tablets and keep smoking for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks you stop wanting to smoke. Ill ask him exactly.

BTW ive never had a single cigarette or drug, apart from bourbon. Even then, i only ever drink with mates. I figure if i never try them, i cant get hooked.

maggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais
Champix

Another one trying to give up cigarettes. Am onto day 4. So far it has done nothing for me to curb my addiction to Cigarettes. But I am becoming very forgetful. Leaving my mobile behind, and forgetting everything. No Nausea but am feeling like I could lay down and go to sleep at any time.
Anyone else had cognitive problems with this medication?:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Bit of a thread dig here, but now it's been done, am curious as to how the OP is going with his quit smoking efforts?

I am over a year off the fags now, and not interested in smoking at all, but on a very rare occasion I still think for a fleeting second, will go have a smoke when I finished this. Just the habit I guess from years of smoking. When I have this thought I laugh to myself and shake my head in disbelief that I still have the habit ingrained.

Giving up is the best thing I did, apart from the 8 kilos or so I gained, but that's gone too now. I figured if I could give up the smokes, giving up snacking would be easy (nearly typed 'piece of cake')

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Theres actually a massive thread on Whirlpool forums about someones blog to quit using Champix.

Whirlpool - Champix

Have a read if you get a chance, should have a lot of interesting stuff about Champix in particular.