Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone used a GMB water pump?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I know, old thread but glad I saw it because I was trying to decide between Gates and GMB and it seems GMB has much better reviews.
I'd go genuine but my radiator just started a slow leak so I bought a full aluminium radiator, and decided to replace all the original hoses, so I also bought a set silicone radiator a heater hoses. I was just about to start work on it today when I noticed the water pump is leaking. Spent hours researching and just now decided on GMB, spent too much already and can't really afford a genuine pump.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
i use GMB or Genuine Holden and never had an issue, multiple pumps lasting atleast 10yrs or so, other brands i have tried have failed early and my diagnosis seems to be that they dont quite sit with the belt in the same spot, so the load on the bearings is not straight side on causing earlier failure, some of the kits give a spacer for the pulley but it still doesn't line up properly. Most likely the cheapie brands are trying to cater for to many models.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have used GMB without issue.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The last GMB pump I bought has quite a bit of play in the bearing. I also noticed they have removed the made in Japan from the pump and box and on most boxes there's a little sticker saying made in China.
I don't think they are as good as they used to be. Lasted 6 months so far, time will tell.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The last GMB pump I bought has quite a bit of play in the bearing. I also noticed they have removed the made in Japan from the pump and box and on most boxes there's a little sticker saying made in China.
I don't think they are as good as they used to be. Lasted 6 months so far, time will tell.
It seems that a lot of water pumps are made in China, that's why I chose the GMB over Gates which are made in China. The sellers ad says made in Japan. Whether that is true, I don't know.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Well that's probably the end of the great reputation GMB have if that is the case.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
When it arrives look for a "made in Japan" label like the old ones had.
If the box just says GMB pumps Japan, it doesn't men it's made there.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
When it arrives look for a "made in Japan" label like the old ones had.
If the box just says GMB pumps Japan, it doesn't men it's made there.
I will pick it up tomorrow, the seller has a shop. I will ring first and interrogate them about where it is made.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
I will pick it up tomorrow, the seller has a shop. I will ring first and interrogate them about where it is made.

Did you end up getting the GMB Pump?

H

harrop.senator

Still use them at work constantly. No customers come back yet. Run them on my own cars no hesitation. If they chose the shop, tooling and sop's I have no issue with prc manufacturing. Hell holset turbos are built solely in China these days and are still Top 3 in the world...