Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

apprentice cars

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
After doing my apprentice TAFE training at Rockingham once upon a time, whatever does the best burnout on the driveway speed bump exiting the car park…

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
As a former TAFE lecturer, can confirm.
Actual shot of apprentices clocking off at my old work

1016944846-SCH-19660619-349-66LM-10-A2.jpg

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It depends on your circumstances though I'd personally consider utes, wagons and vans.

A ute (make sure to get a canopy or have a secure place to lock your tools) or a van is going to be better for carrying items that you may need on the jobsite, however they're generally less comfortable and usually come with less safety equipment, as they're more for commercial use than private buyers.

On the other hand, a wagon can also carry your tools and items that you'll need, as well as carrying more passengers in comfort than a ute or van, however you will need to take care of the interior so you don't get it dirty.

In the end, it's whatever suits your needs more is the better buy, so keep us posted on what you find.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought a wagon for ease of putting a wheel chair in and out...

The same principal can be applied to this situation....A wagon will provide more space to put tools and make it a little more difficult for the opportunistic thief to snare tools...It also allows your tools to stay dry...

A ute can be good, with a lockable storage box in the back, to put tools in, to help prevent them getting stolen, but if you do forget to put it down, the opportunistic thief can take advantage of this and walk off with tools. They also make it easier to get tools in and out quickly

Utes I see asking more coin to start with, compared to wagons and to tend to be more beat up that wagons, due to being a tradie vehicle and tradies not really caring too much about the look of them

So both do have advantages and disadvantages, so unfortunately it will be upto you which you think would be more suited to yourself...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I wouldn't go with a Caddy as it's a Euro car and an apprentice is going to need their car daily... Best to go for something Japanese or Australian where parts are cheap and readily available...
Sorry, remind me about cheap parts for Commodores? Where can one find such things?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Also Depends on what type of apprenticeship it is.
Elec is very broad and depending on where you are or what you do, you may need nothing more than a bicycle to get to and from the worksite.

If domestic, ute or van with access to get things in and out the sides. Put the tools you use most on the passenger side to limit time going road side and putting yourself at risk.
Although a wagon can fit this purpose, you're more limited to only getting things in and out the back. But then again if you get a cover, it's easier to hide things.

In all honestly it would come down to personal preference. If you don't need to carry much then grab a little hatchback as it then doubles that the boss cant ask you to carry anything

Reactions: Lex