Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apprentices/Traineeships...

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
lol they are all too busy plying World Of Warcraft (BTW I hate that game lol- I'm only 20% nerd, 80% cool-in my eyes anyway). I'll keep an eye out for any automotive work still of course.

im kind of the same 80-20 split but im loving IT, i did my traineeship in tyre fitting and light repair but the money sux and some people in the industry can be aholes but that could be said for any industry

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
i did a boily 1st year tafe course last year it was great, went drunk everyweek and still did all my welding! i have an apprenticeship now and i get to go to brisbane for tafe... for 9 weeks a year :| im a Auto vehicle body maker 1st year (build trains, buses, boats, trucks, cars n everything inbetween)

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
anything thats classed as a trade you will have to do some sort off education for it. TAFE or UNI etc.

as far as i know anyways.

i just started my apprenticeship in joinery (love it btw), but havent started trade school yet. im the biggest nerd for a tradie lol.. teachers yelled at me for not applying for uni. :p :)

badger__rox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VnExecutive
man i love tafe purving on apprentice hair dresses compations with the boys to see how many schooners i could drink in our lunch hour it was 8 or 9 buy the way lol those were the days

haha nuttin has changed but i only have a couple of beers at lunch cause the teachers are on to us now. lol and ocasionaly we get a hour lunch then we head down to the pub for a parma n a pot.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
yeah that is what im worried about, I could handle the idiots in year 11 mucking around but i dunno.... might give IT a shot, got my Cert II anyways... still no work around here :(

If you are in Doveton and can't get a job you aren't looking very hard. It's industry central. As everybody else has said, you will need some tafe for virtually any trade. Look at it as a means to an end - are you willing to sacrifice approx 45 years of working in an industry you like because you didn't like a few months of school?

As others have said, I hated sec school with a passion however tafe was much better. (still not great though). It was two years of sacrifice to get into the area that I wanted. Ever since I haven't looked back and never had an issue finding work that kept me interested.

Reaper

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
I'm an apprentice electrician and trade school is the best damn day of the week! You get to sleep in, relax all day in class, have perve on your breaks and stuff around with the other blokes in your class. It's completely different from high school, teachers are laid back and will usually have a laugh with ya, happy to take sh*t from ya and will often give it straight back. Like I said, totally different environment to high school. I hated high school, but love trade school.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Just go man u'll b right trust me after uve dun ur apprenticship u'll b thankin urself later just think u'll always have that ticket behind u and u'll NEVER b outer work, wats a few days at tafe seriously or u could go 4 the option of goin 2 block tech, thats wat i did coz i didnt have a tafe that did cabinetmakin near me then u just do all ur modules at home and wen time comes 4 tafe its all pratical work it only happens a 2wc each year 4 a couple weeks u'll b laughin. plus u get paid 4 it :thumbsup:

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I have found a course in Dandenong, that I just enquired about. It's a free 8 week course in mechanics, panelbeating etc. Sounds good for me, hopefully it will get my confidence back up a bit more :thumbsup:

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
in tassie,if you are working with a qualified motor mechanic for 7 continous years,you can make an application to the relevant authorities,and voila you have your ticket,but you have to know your stuff.at the moment mechanical buisnesses here are employing backyarders,because no qualified mechanics are applying for the position,re+-ason,pay is louzy.