Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are nitrous systems legal in QLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Steal nos from a dentist nos is laughing gas no joke

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Thank god you're here

That must be a new thing

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
should nos be illegal...no.... same as having a turbo or charger.

It's a sign of the times I guess, when even car enthusiasts are worried about safety.

I struggle to understand the mentality of ppl harping on about Safety on website designed for car enthusiasts. If you are so concerned about Safety, trade in your v8 and buy a Prius with all the extra airbags.

I didn't buy a v8 and do up the engine because I wanted to be safe Haha

should it be illegal to someone that doesn't care for his/her and other peoples safety???

yes!

M1LMO3

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
What don't you get it's illegal and the main problem with him wanting it is he wants to light his 245's on the street.

I've seen first hand wrecks of cars that people with his attitude of lighting their wheels up have wrapped themselves around trees.

You try being 19 and seeing someone mutated by a tree they wrapped themselves around.
Even more so try being there when their family is informed.

Law is law not for street use if you have a high performance car I don't care as long as it's within the law and you respect the road rules. No problem from me.

But I'll say it again you do not need nitrous for the street. Your just asking for trouble if do.

Keep the nitrous on the track not on our roads.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Because the law makes COMPLETE SENSE.

Some people are happy to shut their eyes and follow the book to the 'T', but show me the real world differences between a big turbo setup and a nitrous setup.
If anything, the nitrous is SAFER as most kits only activate at WOT.

M1LMO3

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Because the law makes COMPLETE SENSE.

Some people are happy to shut their eyes and follow the book to the 'T', but show me the real world differences between a big turbo setup and a nitrous setup.
If anything, the nitrous is SAFER as most kits only activate at WOT.

The difference is ones illegal and the others legal. I don't make the law I just uphold and enforce it, this doesn't mean I have to agree with it but it's my job.

You know what I'm sick of arguing I get it daily at work.

You whine about this law and that law is ridiculous move to a place where there is no law or law enforcement and see what one you would prefer.

When the laws not in your corner it doesn't make sense but when something goes wrong you call us and want our help.

It should go both ways why should we help you when you can't even abide by common law.
Oh yeah it's our job god help if we could pick and choose the people we wanted to help just as you are doing with the law.

I don't have to agree with the law neither do you but the law is there to protect us whether we like it or not it's their for good reason.

It's just one of them things in life. Deal with it.

Last edited:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
It's just one of them things in life. Deal with it.

Believe me, I am. I have a kit there ready to go on, but my law abiding side is holding me back.
I can understand where you're coming from.

oscar03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY ss hothouse green
it was said earlier that nitrous isn't flamable... and it isnt. but is an "oxidising agent" and a gas under pressure, if in a crash the system was compramised and there was a fire the massivly expanding gasses (not sure exactly what the expansion rate is) do have a simmilar effect to putting a match in pure oxygen but on a much larger scale effectivly creating a fireball... not something i would be wanting to be near when it happened and not something a turbo can do.

just a thought on a possible reason behind it being made illegal.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Something tells me that this thread has gone from asking about the legalities of installing a NOS kit in the sunshine state, to the black hole that is freedom of choice.

Unfortunately Australia does not have a bill of rights. So that leaves the general population out of the loop when it comes to law making. Not even motoring bodies like NRMA, RACQ,V have weight when it comes to lobbying for changes.

Australia is full of laws and regulations, I would be asking what forms the basis of the law which deems the installation illegal, I'm talking installation, not use.

Should you be told what color your next car should be?

Education and driver training should be the corner stone of road safety, not legislation that covers the whole population.

Better road quality and maintenance, would be good, am I wrong?

I don't disagree that without regulation things would get out of hand, but there is nothing stopping me from bolting on a twin turbo kit to my SSV and running it up to 1000hp so I can pop down to the shops.

Dave

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I don't disagree that without regulation things would get out of hand, but there is nothing stopping me from bolting on a twin turbo kit to my SSV and running it up to 1000hp so I can pop down to the shops.

Yeah there is. What you're proposing is no different to running NOS.
You'll never be able to comply with ADR's relating to noise and emissions.... so other than going to the trouble and expense of getting everything all modified in the first place, no engineer wanting to keep their certification will pass you because ADR's wont be addressed.

To satisfy ADR's (and therefore roadworthiness), getting an SSV to 1000hp using stock internals, stock ignition and emission controls will only happen in dream land.
I went through all this crap when doing my turbo conversion. You can upgrade brakes, you can upgrade safety, but very hard to chase power gains when you're limited to using stock noise and emission controls. That's where they get you, and that's where your hypothetical 1000hp twin turbo setup will fail roadworthiness. No roadworthiness = no insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.